The imminent destruction of the Destin Jetties??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
All the land that leads up to that point is part of the Holiday Isle homeowners association. According to what the Mayor of Destin told me last year, the way the homeowners assocication was writtin in the land title, they have more control over the way the land is done than the city does. For example, the homeowners assoc owns all the sidewalks and right of ways in that entire area, not the city.

The homeowners assoc already dislikes the extra traffic generated in that area, so I really doubt they'll agree with an approving majority to allow any changes down there.... (I'm not saying they have the ulimate decision, but they apparantly have a powerfull group of folks with lots of $$$ running things for them).

I was looking at the Okaloosa GIS last night, and it clearly shows that land being owned by the State. I would feel better if I knew that the State and the Corp of Engineers had more of a say than a Homeowners Association. I was also prowling around on the Growth Management site, but they do not post upcoming agendas or proposed changes. I will be calling them today to see if I can find anything out.

Okaloosa County probably will have very little involvement. It will be the City of Destin that will be the local government with the most say. Check them out.

I spoke with one of the city planners, and then the City Manager, regarding this rumor. It seems that this has gotten out and quite a number of people have called about it. The scoop I got from the City is that there is a developer that has a proposition in the works regarding the harbor. The good news is that there has been nothing said about disturbing Noriega Point at all. The proposal is to dredge the harbor and make it deeper/wider within its present confines.
There are talks going on with the Corps of Engineers and the State to ensure that all is done within the proper guidelines, ect ect.

Do any of you have any ideas as to what impact this may have in the Jetty area (long or short term) to sand coloration, marine life, visability, ect?

It will hopefully uncover some of the relief that the sands have washed over during this past winter. Maybe uncover the second anchor and mooring bouy. More relief = more life.

Bad things, downtime in diving the site while dredging that particular area.

I think the dredging in the harbor would only affect the jetties on the outgoing tide. While we are diving it should be flowing out of the harbor and into the bay. The whole beach re-nourishment thing has left the water a little milky (like after a hurricane). It may take a year or more to wash the limestone silt out of the sand they pumped on the beach. The harbor dredging may put more silt in the water but maybe the tide will flush it away from the jetties this time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom