The I-Pod Thread, tech support from your cohorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enter linux...

setup a really cheap computer like the ones that you could buy from an school corporations auction for old stuff at the end of the year and get a free copy of linux. its an opensource Operating System that is free (thats why you use it) and install limewire on it. scan and get rid of the viruses on that computer before transferring them to the computer you would like to use. and bam virus free limewire dl's!

I must be downloading only nice files through LimeWire. Never been bothered by a virus...

Does anybody know the difference between this thing Dennis suggested

iPod AV connection kit... That's to connect your iPod directly to the TV.
which is about 100 dollars and the thing Chickdiver suggests, Apple-TV, which is about 300 dollars?

I am trying to send the troops something so they can watch shows/movies they have on multiple people's I-pods because they scored a TV (but have no dvd player or cable)

thanks...I would ask at radio shack or the apple store but they always stear me wrong here. I went in yesterday and the guy at RS had never heard of Apple Tv.

Seriously, they look right at you and say " I would have no idea"--it's very frustrating in Hawaii at times.

A lot of these pricey Apple connectors have less expensive alternatives but the tv business talks of "syncing and streaming", which is over my head.

simply put, the ipod AV Connection kit will project the image from your video ipod onto your tv.

the apple TV (old name = itv) will wirelessly stream the video you have on your computer to your tv. i really wouldn't recommend this at this point in the game since it's got a bunch of flaws with it since it's only in its first generation. it doesn't support all files that can play on itunes although it will support all those you can play on your ipod. now, i have to say that i LOVE apple so it's not a brand thing. i just don't think that the technology is up to snuff. (read this article if you can understand it)

what to get depends on how you use your ipod/computer. if you always sync (transfer files from your computer to your ipod), you could get away with one of those iPod connection kits. If you don't always sync and have al ot of movies/tv shows on your computer but not on your ipod, i'd go with a serial or s-video cable that will connect your computer and tv.

Oh, and for music/video downloads...try www.mininova.org
it's a bittorrent site so less viruses! (edit: you download a torrent software program like utorrent or bittorent), then you find torrents (ex. at mininova.org), download them and open in your torrent program which will download the files from a number of peers who are uploading the files)

You New Yorkers are so dialed in.:)

thanks a ton, I was willing to spend the 300 but did not want to if not necesary.

Now, they have this thing (a multi pack cable kit) at Price Busters for 30 dollars and it has various connectors, one of which is an AV cable. I googled and it appears this is the "composite" hook-up.

I might just give it a try. They want to just walk over, plug their personal I-pod into the cable/tv and press play on the I-pod to watch a show/movie.

The apple tv does high def, but that is really overkill, since they don't have high def tv.

Again, thanks, I will save the music link and check that out! They could probable benefit from that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom