The I-Pod Thread, tech support from your cohorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anybody know the name of the cable that will hook my laptop to the plasma so we can view shows we bought on I-tunes?

What's the downside of Limewire, anybody know? (free music)

Is T-vo or i-tunes a better way to get episodes and watch commercial free?

iPod AV connection kit...:D That's to connect your iPod directly to the TV. For a laptop you can use a serial or S-video cable.

With the iPod AV Connection Kit, you'll have all the pieces you need to enjoy the entire iPod experience in your living room.
Listen to your music library through your home stereo or powered speakers.
Watch videos and view photo albums on your television.
Control everything from across the room.
Keep your iPod charged up at all times.

You get an Apple remote too.

catherine96821:
What's the downside of Limewire, anybody know? (free music)

You mean other than most of the stuff violating copyright laws?

Edit: ^ They beat me to it

I have a friend who got music off of some of the file sharing network. . . yeah thats it. . . His virus scan was going beserek. . . so he stopped getting songs off of there and found a store like record and tape traders where he could buy a CD "use" it for a while and sell it back for a few bucks. . . he also got a program offline for like 25.00 that takes his DVD movies and puts them into a form his Ipod understands. . . When I get home I will find out what program he uses. . .

Oh yeah...watch out for Limewire or other P2P stuff like that. I used it for quite a while, until my computer finally got so loaded with viruses and crap that it crapped out on me for a while last summer. Granted, I got some cool music off of there, but it wasn't worth it in the end.

catherine96821:
Is T-vo or i-tunes a better way to get episodes and watch commercial free?

TiVo is simply a video recording device similar to a VCR, except the programs are stored on a hard drive (similar to your computer) rather than on tape.

It relies on the same broadcast feeds that go into your TV, so it's not "commercial-free" but rather you simply fast forward through the unwanted parts like the commercials.

Unlike a VCR, you eventually have to delete stuff, otherwise the hard drive gets full. Also unlike a VCR, it's not free to use; you have to pay a monthly service fee. Up until a year ago TiVo offered "lifetime" subscriptions.

The service fee does pay for a bunch of features that make TiVo unique among all video recording devices, such as the ability to search for your favorite actors and automatically record anything that features them.

thanks--you guys know everything around here.

RonDawg, I don't think we watch enough tv to make tivo worth it. (we were "discussing this" today. I think downloading the episodes from i-tunes (1.99 an episode) seems to be just as good. Tivo is like 15/ month

Once I get the cable for the connection.

And lots of viruses...

(Limewire) I told JB that..he is really upset when stuff like that happens too. Even I pay to download from I-tunes.

I just downloaded my first episode (24, the first of the 6th season) but it only plays little, the screen won't go full size, no matter what I do.

Dennis, are you or anyone downloading pictures...bet they take up a lot of room.

What other hard drive functions are useful?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom