The growing cost of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here you pay 60 euro for a 2 dive trip on the North sea. I also know charters that ask 120 euro, but then food, a night on the boat, drinks and nitrox is included. But Northsea wreckdiving means 2-2.5 hours at least one way by boat to a wreck.

Minediving is here between 45 and 70 euro for a day, Molnar Janos cave is at least 50 euro per diver per dive of 50-70 minutes with own gear and gases.

In France, wreckdiving is 27-32 euro per dive of 1 hour by boat.

My equipment and access to compressor. So, local diving costs me about $1 for fuel. It was about .75 for fuel last year.
Seaside, different story and too many variables to give any meaningfull numbers.

I haven't been using boats often since COVID, but a two dive trip (4 hours) will run about $100 in Palm Beach County now, that is trip only. If your renting tanks or equipment then obviously more. Figure a $10-$20 tip. So $120 plus tank fills if you have all your own equipment and tanks. BHB is the least expensive shore dive since parking is free, so what it cost you to drive and whatever one air fill is, if you own your own tanks. LBTS would be a little more expensive because parking for three hours cost $7.00. So not only is BHB popular because it is an interesting site, its also popular because it is the cheapest dive around.

For anyone complaining about the cost of charters, remember how much you paid the last time getting gas for your car. And you wonder why costs have increased?

For anyone complaining about the cost of charters, remember how much you paid the last time getting gas for your car. And you wonder why costs have increased?
I'm actually surprised by how little the prices have changed for boat dives in my area in the last year, given how much gas prices have gone up. You can still find 3-tank day boats to Catalina (~25ish miles away) with meals and air fills included for about $175, up from around $150 a year or two ago. There are more expensive charters too, but also some less expensive trips to destinations closer to shore. Frankly I wonder how the operators are making ends meet.

I had to check as I haven't used a charter from my home area. Prices don't seem too terrible. Really depends on the type of dive you do. The company I checked has three boats that they run. Prices for the smaller boats are a bit more, but not too much.

Prices range from $115 - $175 per person. The cheapest is their big boat that can hold 35 divers, then they have a 12 max, and the most expensive is actually a private boat for up to 6. Fee is per boat, so if less divers, the cost per diver goes up. Additional cost for tank rental and gear rental. The tank rental is pretty reasonable, and not too much more than it costs me to fill my tanks.

I don't find those prices to be bad at all. Runs are a minimum of 12-15 miles from the inlet.

Costs have certainly gone up, when I started diving gas was .19.9 cents per gallon:) new jet fins were $20, air fills $1, dive boat to Catalina was $25…hourly pay was $4.19 (union labor job working graveyard) joined the navy @ $373 per month as an E3…damn I’m old.

My favourite charter had to refill on the way back.

The amount was so ludicrous … I felt better about my own gas prices for my car afterwards :)

Back
Top Bottom