The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Why would I want to pay extra to subsidize a compressor or training? If the market can't bare the real cost of air then don't sell it.

Contracts state that you must have a compressor and air station. There is no way around it, but leave me open for suggestions!! And yeah, the lost leader on classes, air and some of the other things we have to keep creates the need of gear sales. Thanks, George

Without going through all 1400+ messages here, I will guess that it has been mentioned that places like Leisure Pro and others are not authorized reps for some of the products they sell. They can sell so cheap because they "buyout" other shops who rare going out of bussiness. Thats why they have a "limited stock" on hand.

Do those things HAVE to be loss leaders?

What about charging a fair price and educationg the customer as to the added value of purchasing from you instead of trying to just compete on price?

It seems to me that every course offered by GUE is filled and they are not 'loss leaders', nor are they cheap.

The online shops cannot compete on service at all, so why try to fight them on price?
Give divers GREAT service and they will be more than happy to pay a FAIR price. Yes, there are some people who won't but they are not the people you want to serve anyway.

Online sales are not killing local dive shops.
Crappy local dive shop operators are killing local dive shops, with lots of help from gear makers. :mad:

I like my LDS I'll pay a little extra for my stuff. but if I have any question ( which I have had) or have a problem (which I have had) he takes care of me. So I take care of him. Theirs a spanish saying "Lo barato salea caro" this means that cheap stuff end up being expensive.

My rule of thumb is that I will buy locally if I can.

I consider 15% higher price (compared to price including shipping for online) to be equal at least. That is, I will not even flinch or hesitate to pay 15% for local service. In many cases I will pay more provided I am getting good service.

The key word is SERVICE.

I looked at buying locally, and then compared what I wanted to 3 online shops. I most cases I saved 40% or more on the stuff I bought online. It might be ok to get the stuff you want from the local but when your doing a complete refit of gear its hideously pricey.

I used http://www.diveshopper.com/ , http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp and http://www.divingshop.co.uk/ ebay shops for some minor odds and ends that I wanted but werent essential.

Give yourself some time to look around and keep your eyes open for the specials.

clearwaterdivers:
MikeFerrara:
Why would I want to pay extra to subsidize a compressor or training? If the market can't bare the real cost of air then don't sell it.

Contracts state that you must have a compressor and air station. There is no way around it, but leave me open for suggestions!! And yeah, the lost leader on classes, air and some of the other things we have to keep creates the need of gear sales. Thanks, George

I know all that.

I owned a shop and got sick of having to teach many hours and late nights just so I might sell enough equipment to keep my dealerships, pay the rent and maintain the compressor. Of course then you have to lower the prices to sell anything and then not only do you get the privilage of working for free but when a manufacturer catches you lowering prices they threaten to pull your dealership.

I really used to love it when they'd send some non-diving idiot of a sales rep in who would lecture on how to teach in a way that sold more of their crap equipmenr. LOL

BTW, did I mention thet the best thingI ever did was close that stinking place. LOL

Well, of the stores that I know that have shut down, that was exactly the reason!! I sometimes resemble that remark!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom