the great 109 to 156 (using the new S-wing) and "lever" issues threads (continued)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm at a loss...

tore it down, and ran it in the heated (68 c) ultrasonic with water and a small amount of dish soap for 5 minutes...
orifice is in very good condition....
lubed the stem of the s-wing with triolube as well as the orifice o-ring and the adjuster know threads and o-ring, re-assembled, set the orifice at just a slight (one number on the clock) turn back from FF, put the cover on, and made sure tune was still the same place..... just shy of FF with the adjuster all the way out (if I set it slightly pissing, it takes significant turns of the adjustment knob to cease FF)...

mag is 2"-2.1".....................

What am I missing?

Last edited:
How does it breath? Put it in the sink and see what you get. If it really is 2", then water will flow into the mouthpiece before it cracks. If it really is 2" then maybe you will just have to look at that one as about $50 worth of spare parts. I would start to suspect the case. It probably would not take much of a bend of the inlet tube on the case to produce such a problem. So, if you just want to run it to ground, take a good one and start a systematic swapping of components.

I'm with Awap on this one. Start by confirming your mag is reading correctly. Use the sink or better yet, build manometer and confirm your instruments are reading correctly.

I forgot if you've mentioned it, but is the IP within (35psi +/- 10 ) range? Is the barrel free of anomalies? If all checks ok, one by one change out the parts to find the culprit including the spring.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
IP is 135. I'm trying the Zung "soak" recommendation overnight to see what happens. I need to break from it. I'll check back tomorrow with an update.

As a comparison, both the 109 and the 156 are starting to flow with the top of the case (mouthpiece off) right at water level.....

That's about 2":

SP-Cat-1988.jpg

Another option would be some parts related problems. One I can think of is a wrong rubber cover: the one for the 108 has an extra "ring" inside that makes it a lot thicker than the one for the 109, and depresses the lever more than it should.

109-Cover-SP.jpg

Post pics of your parts.

here they are:
DSCF0514.jpg
diaphragm that came with it - supple
DSCF0511.jpg
for reference, at the bottom, I also have shown the original poppet, spring and pad removed from this reg.
DSCF0512.jpg
here is the new poppet spring and balance chamber...
DSCF0513.jpg
cover is from the "group buy" we did earlier...

Interesting note on dis-assembly - the throat on the balance chamber has a slight flare to it, and was actually "stuck" to the stem of the poppet. The first time I took it apart, I thought it was tight due to lack of lube. Now I am thinking it may be the problem. It is actually jamming on the stem..... do I trim it?

Last edited:
The "Ah Ha" moment has struck - little more research: I'm using kit 112-500-15 which is a spring, poppet and balance chamber for a G-250....the re-build kit from my G200B (pn 112-540-41) has a shorter balance chamber than this one (which also lists "Bal. Adj. N").... think I just found the problem.....

So, thoughts on trimming the stem on the balance chamber?

---------- Post added May 5th, 2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

That's about 2":

Knowing I am getting the correct value on my G250V (1"), I know the mag is good.... the bucket somewhat confirmed it.

Last edited:
Bob,

I don't have the part numbers readily available, but I use G250 parts to convert a 109 to a BA. Poppet, spring, lever, balance chamber. The balance chamber should not matter if it's long or short; however if there is a binding issue try a different one.

From your pictures, the only thing that catches my eye is engraving I see on the diaphragm disc. Buff those out or when you install it, rotate it so those marks do not come into contact with the lever.

Again, make one change at a time so you can nail down the problem.

Edit with part numbers:

Lever..................11250141
Poppet Assembly...11250015
Spring..................01020216
Balance Chamber....11150102

Last edited:
I would not trim it. I do recall some different versions of balance chambers but don't recall any incompatibility. I think I would be trying a different balance chamber from the one that is sticking.

Sha-Zam!!!!! Found a couple balance chambers from returned parts from the pre-s-wing service. Checked the fit compared to new for excessive play & they were similar. Put one on the s-wing, re-assembled, and low and behold 1.2"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ye-freaking-ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post a picture of the two balance chambers in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom