The future of helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
"gravitationally negative" isn't quite correct. it floats to the top of the atmosphere though and then the gravitational force is insufficiently strong to keep it attatched to the planet...

Ahh, semantics. The term I use there was used by researchers I knew that worked on cosmic dust flux-I think that they were referring to the second half of your statement-that the gravitational force is not strong enough to keep the He3 in the atmosphere. We were all doing isotope work, they on the furnace-gas source side of things, me on both light stable isotopes and heavier ones such as Sr, Cs, Pb, and Th.

Regardless, a interesting concept.

Now we've really hijacked this thread.

Charlie99:
Darn! I was just beginning to design my anti-gravity flying machine. :)
hmmmm...a BCD that wouldn't need air....cool! :D

I think the flammable/explosive properties of Hydrogen have pretty much ruled it out for use in anything except extremely specialized situations - such as zeppelins :wink:

D1V3R:
what about using Hydrogen-1 ions in breathing gas
your just breathing in protons
1) No gas cylinder ever made would be able to withstand the repulsive forces of all those charges.
2) Those ions are going to going to gain or lose those electrons somewhere. The lining of your lung would not be a very good place (nor would anywhere else since it gives off lots of energy).
3) Protons are H+ not H-

vondo:
1) No gas cylinder ever made would be able to withstand the repulsive forces of all those charges.
2) Those ions are going to going to gain or lose those electrons somewhere. The lining of your lung would not be a very good place (nor would anywhere else since it gives off lots of energy).
3) Protons are H+ not H-

uh, i was kidding
and when I said -1, i was refering to atomic mass just to clarify that I wasnt talking about an isotope, not that it was a negative ion

am i the only one that finds it odd that we're talking about chemistry on a diving forum? lol

I dunno about odd that we're talking about chemistry as a whole, but odd that I thought I was decent at chemistry and am in awe of what everyone else is spilling out, haha. I'm impressing myself by being able to understand most of it though..So that works for me!

D1V3R:
am i the only one that finds it odd that we're talking about chemistry on a diving forum? lol
Actually the premise of the thread was that waste Helium from fusion reactors might have been a new cheap source of the gas. OK - now we know it won't, but if the opposite had been true it could have had far reaching consequences for scuba diving! (at least that's MY excuse for starting the thread! :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom