The fish are back at PK!! PK dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I just thought I would let everyone know that my buddy and I dove Possum Kingdom today at Scuba Point and we were pleasently surprised that the fish have all of the sudden made a comeback. We saw several Stripers in the two to five pound range and a few pretty good size Channel Cats, as well as lots of Perch and other Sunfish. The surface temp was 73 and it dropped about five degrees at the first thermocline. Viz was about ten to twelve feet and the weather was great! We would love to try to oraganize a dive for any of you guys and gals that would like to come and dive at Possum Kingdom Lake, I have a boat and I know several good spots out on the main body of the lake, as well as Scuba Point.

saving my pennies cause it doesn`t take much to get the swampsters fired up and ready to get wet!I`m looking forward to
diving the P.K. simply because I haven`t yet.:(
If your plan materializes,You can count me in..:)

Its good to hear the fish populations are returning. Maybe it didn't take as big of a hit as TPWD thought it did. I remember diving there last summer and seeing nothing. It was disappointing. I'd love to get a full Sat or Sun and go. I have a small boat too, but it can really only comfortably hold 3 divers, and I need to get it in the water to work the kinks out of the motor. Its been sitting a little too long already.

Tom

JT2,

As I told the folks who gathered at Lake Travis, if you desire to lead a dive, then by all means, name a date and lead the dive!

And you don't have to worry about doing 100% of the work...just be the leader and delegate what help you need to the willing divers who want to help.

So, what date(s) works for you?

--mike

What happened to make the fish so scarce in the first place?

Glad to hear the are returning!

There was a large golden Algae bloom last summer that killed a bunch of fish. I saw Texas parks reports guessing as large as 50% of the pop was affected. Many species that weren't directly affeced were indirectly affected by the lack of forage fish.

Tom

I will check the schedule and try and come up with some dates and then see what will work for everyone else. I am currently trying to help Ann Sanderson and her family, who are the owners of Scuba Point, to geta few old boats, a VW Bug and an old house boat to sink and add to the attractions, but they are waiting for word from the BRA on when and where they can sink some more stuff.

Keep us up to date on what help you need on those projects. I bet we can get some other divers (including me) to come out and lend a hand.

Or better yet, twist Ann's arm and get her to come and join the fun on this board :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom