The FIRST thing people say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A second to Dennis. Why does everyone, especially the media, refer to them as "oxygen tanks".

My recent favorite. "Oh, I tried diving but I couldn't do it cause my ears hurt"

---Bob

My then-14-year-old son was so apprehensive about sharks when he started diving a couple years ago, that he absolutely insisted on getting a mask with a clear skirt -- so he could see them coming up behind him.

I think he's a little embarrassed when I kid him about that now...

I do think, though, that the fear of sharks is natural for a non-diver. As are -- think about it -- most of the other "Don't you's" that people come up with.

The one about having to dump your weights in order to surface was actually a pretty sophisticated question!!

Another one that I hear occasionally is, "I can't dive because I'm claustraphobic."

I feel like saying, "It's a really BIG, wide-open ocean!" But I don't...it's not my job to convince anyone to do something they don't want to do.

Hemlon:
Another one that I hear occasionally is, "I can't dive because I'm claustraphobic."

I've had that one, too. I just thought, "What???" :confused:

Someone asked me yesterday "Hey what's the nitro for?" after looking at my stage. I wanted to say, "for blowing up the pier" but thought against it.

The "what about sharks?" question is a common question from friends when they find out I dive.

Strangers, however, seem to have a different set of questions:
At one spot I frequent, I'll go in at a nearly deserted beach at 9AM. By 10:30AM when I exit, the beach full of tourists playing in the waves and sunning on the beach.

Invariably somebody asks "Have you been out scuba diving?"

The next most common questions are "What do you see?" and "Did you see any fish?"

Luckily, diving puts me in a good mood and I usually manage a nice cheerful, friendly answer.

Charlie99:
Invariably somebody asks "Have you been out scuba diving?"
"Nope, my personal trainer recommended I wear this for my morning run to build endurance." (Here's your sign :D)

One comment about claustrophobia. Some people cannot stand to have anything around their face. A woman I work with says she is too claustrophobic to dive, she tried snorkeling and the closed-in feeling of wearing a mask was too much for her. Claustrophobia is one of the selections on our medical waivers (NAUI), every person is different and for some the claustrophobia prevents them from diving.
Ber :lilbunny:

wedivebc:
Someone asked me yesterday "Hey what's the nitro for?" after looking at my stage. I wanted to say, "for blowing up the pier" but thought against it.

Well, you could have said you were bringing it to a whale with a REALLY serious heart condition... :D

Ber Rabbit:
"Where do you do that around here?" is what they ask me but then I live in Ohio :D

I get that question all the time, and I live a mile from the ocean with at least two of the Channel Islands visible from shore most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom