The First Question: Which reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know who told you about the 60 or 70 ft thing and less expensive regs, but man is THAT wrong. There are some guys using that Scubpro MK2 setup on decompression bottles below 200ft. Maybe not the BEST breathing reg out there today, but it's darn near bulletproof from what I understand, and even though I don't like ScubaPro, what works, works.

The Zeagle Envoy is a reg I am dying to try out because I've had a number of people tell me they are great, but if you don't have local service, it can be a pain. I'm sure Larry can hook you up with an affordable set of regulators that will do nicely for what you want to do. I'd listen to him if I were you. He doesn't have his stellar reputation in the dive community for nothing.

I've called all nearby ( 20 miles radius ) Zeagle dealers ...
Got 2 :
1, one is pain just to talk to.
2. Another is not carrying regs and doesn't not perform service on the Zeagle regs...
And this is NJ... i guess i'm missing smth ...
Or just call LP and get the stuff from them and let them do the service. Which they do.. Well, don't want to start "People vs LP" war...

I have an idea. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Why not purchase a pair of Zeagle Envoys from ScubaToys. You'll get a nice discount and the price should be well within what you wanted to spend. And you can send the regulators to them anually for service. For most of us, this is something of an inconvenience, but since you are doing so few dives a year, being without your regulators for a week or two wouldn't present any problems at all.

In your shoes, this is almost certainly what I would do.

I have no hesitation recommending a Mk2/R190. It's what I bought for my wife. we've had it down to 119 FSW & it breathed fine. So if you have an LDS you like that may be a good reg to go look at.

Now, I've also read tons of great things on the Zeagle Envoy from people who are diving them. Larry at scubatoys does sell them by mail, is an authorized dealer so you'll get the warranty, and can handle your annual service by mail for a fair price. For the diving you're talking about I see no reason to not call Larry, get a couple of those with Zeagle octos & have them mailed right to you. He also offers a discount to SB members who call him & let him know they post here.

M_B:
So let me rephrase what you guys just said :
there is no difference in performance on deps ~100 between (say ) $100 and $400 regs ?
Another thing i want to make sure i'm getting right - i'm not sure if 100 is the depth where i should " draw" the line . I guess it should be up to 160. ( i do understand that this is not the "cruising" range for rec. diving )

The ideal way for you to answer this question would be for you to try out different regs under the same conditions. I realize that's pretty tough to do, for you and countless others buying regs for the first time, and there are lots of LDS salesmen (and companies that promote the various regs) that exploit this inability to "try for yourself" in order to sell you something that will not have an appreciable impact on your diving.

Maybe there's an analogy here. Let's say your diving is somewhat analogous to driving to work, around town, and the occasional trip. Is a honda accord okay for that? How about a mercedes? How about a porsche 911? How about a middle of the road ford or chevy? They're all going to work just fine. Does it matter that the porsche, which can go 200 mph, has a much higher top speed than the accord, when you're only going 70mph max? Why do people buy porsches...that might give you some insight into part of the reg market.

Now take into consideration that driving is a very normal environment, in which you are very aware of small details like the handling, acceleration, etc...consider yourself to be an "expert" driver, because, like the rest of us, you drive everyday. You're going to be diving occasionally and in a very abnormal environment, under water, in which the details of how your regulator works will probably be barely perceptable to you, as long as it works well and you're comfortable getting air. There are many other equipment related things that have a more noticable effect on your diving comfort; wetsuit fit and BC style/fit are first on that list IMO. In other words, if your suit doesn't fit and you get cold, or if you're having trouble with buoyancy due to a poorly designed or bad fitting BC, you'll be much more affected than by a less than high performance reg.

I've dove to 130 ft with both a MK2/R190 and a MK15/G250, which by any standards is a high performance reg. In fact, I've done this on the same trip. Sure, there's a comparative difference in the way the regs feel, but it's not anything like "gee, this MK2/R190 can't cut it, I need more air" and I'd have no hesitation about using the MK2 at that depth again. I'm sure the zeagle envoy would give you the same sort of experience, as alot of people rave about it. The truth is that almost any reg made and sold by a reputable company is way more than sufficient for practically any rec diving scenario, and certainly is much better than equipment that divers used years ago for very demanding environments.

BTW, Larry also has some MK2/R190 sets on his web site. He was an authorized dealer & is clearing out existing stock. AWAP just posted on another thread a response from SP that they will be honoring warranties on SP stock sold by him for the next few months, so you're good there.

The online price is about $176 or so. Knock off the board member discount & you'll more than cover shipping, too. So you do have some interesting options right now.

Guys,
i really do appreciate all great responses and advices you gave here.
By the mid day today i spoke with maybe 5 lds + Zeagle CS ladies. Went from Zeagle auth. dealers to "used to be " Mares authorized .... The one that carry this , but not that; that service that , but not this... Listened to all stories about "the more i buy, the more negotiation leverage I'll have in the future", " the XXX is THE BEST/MOST/GREATEST"...
In other words - today i gulped the "excitement" of dealing with LDSs. And NOW i can see why people are lining towards web based shops.
The more i look on the ( I hope ) local picture the less enthusiastic i'm becoming about owning the regs. I can compare this experience to finding my first auto mechanic...
The only difference ( as someone said on the board ) - damn thing is just a valve with a fancy plastic on it. How difficult it can be to maintain/produce/etc...

The bottom line is - i do appreciate all your _valid_ notes and input and i'm going to talk with Larry and will probably deal directly with manuf. for service.

I also had to note that I spoke with a few people on the board - waynne fowler, rapid diver And I do have to say that quality service does exist, just , I guess, not in my area ( I can’t find it ).

Thank you all and have great holidays.

M_B:
So let me rephrase what you guys just said :
there is no difference in performance on deps ~100 between (say ) $100 and $400 regs ?
Another thing i want to make sure i'm getting right - i'm not sure if 100 is the depth where i should " draw" the line . I guess it should be up to 160. ( i do understand that this is not the "cruising" range for rec. diving )

Ok... now you are putting words in my mouth... Yes there is a difference... but the difference is not depth. If you get a Aeris Atmos Pro - in the low $300 range, it will breathe better at all depths than the Atmos A1 in the $160 range... But you will not notice a difference of the A1 as you go deeper... unless you go nuts deep... 150 ft plus. When you buy a better (more expensive reg) the difference is not just depth, but how easy it is to breathe at any depth.

To put things into perspective... The MK25 1st stage did a test where they had something crazy like 100 divers breathing off the one 1st stage to show how much air it could deliver. It has a listed flow rate of 300 cubic feet per minute. While the MK2 is about half that... Ok now... 300 cubic feet per minute?? Are you looking at that?! A tank is 80 cubic feet, so an inexpensive reg can drain a full tank in 30 seconds, while the better one can in 15 seconds? Oh... That's useful!

The limiting factor is the size of the orifice in the tank valve!

But will the S600 2nd stage breathe smoother and easier than the R190... Yes. At any depth...

Or take the example where a Poseidon Odin is famous for deep water performance, but I have some inexpensive regs like a Tusa RS 130 that will breathe easier in the 30 foot range than the Poseidon.

So really, find someone to talk to you about what type of diving you are doing, which features are important to you... swivel? Adjustments? Cold water capability or not?? Then come up with the best one for your needs and budget.

Regarding Scuba Diving Magazine reviews, you can rest assured they offer untainted opinion. They have a great reputation in the industry for providing unbiased product reviews-I use it all the time. The reason Zeagle regs don't get rated every year isn't because they've dropped in the standings. It's because when SDM does a review on "This Years Best Regs" they only look at new models. For example, the Envoy won Scuba Testors Choice in a past issue. Because the Envoy isn't a new model this year, it won't be in this years sampling of regs. Sometimes, I think your better off looking at Scuba Testors Choice models from the last few years.They're already highly rated and they've been under real world(undersea) conditions by real divers a few thousand times. That's the real test!

Good Luck on your purchase!

Rap

Back
Top Bottom