The Ethics of Full Disclosure on ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record, I tend to think that if someone includes a bloody great business log in their signature, that probably counts as full disclosure.
I would agree... signatures rock!

Just for the record, I tend to think that if someone includes a bloody great business log in their signature, that probably counts as full disclosure.
I'd say having their username being their business name isn't a bad indicator either.

Reactions: mdb
I'd say having their username being their business name isn't a bad indicator either.

I think most on SB who are manufacturers/distributors/stores etc. are very up front.

There are of course, some sock puppets and shrills.

The mods do a good job, IMHO, keeping this international board providing good
information and connections.

I do like the posters who use a complete user name with all their info.

I don't see the signatures spoken about in this thread. I don't know if they are the default and I switched them off or not.
Mouse over your name in the top right corner. Click "Preferences". Then check the box next to "Show people's signatures with their messages". You must have turned it off, I'm pretty sure it defaults to being checked.

Mouse over your name in the top right corner. Click "Preferences". Then check the box next to "Show people's signatures with their messages". You must have turned it off, I'm pretty sure it defaults to being checked.
The point is, for those that it need spelling out, that just because it is in a signature does not make it plain to see. There is not a bit in the UI next to where you set this that states you may miss warnings not to take stuff entirely at face value.

naw..i've been cerich forever, when I worked at Mares/Dacor, the Oceanic and then HOG.. not gonna change. My staff have Deep6 user name to do stuff...me I am gonna keep being me

Back on topic? OK.

1) I'm entirely in favor of full disclosure. Disclosure is the proper course when conflicts of interest cannot be avoided. Better is to avoid the conflict, but if this is not possible, disclose.

2) I am, have been, and expect to remain opposed to policies, practices, habits etc. that are morally corrosive, and in particular those that would promote such practices. This is in no way at odds with #1. When applied to marketing it would include deceptive practices, and those practices that intentionally seek to create easily avoidable conflicts of interest.

3) Professionals have an increased duty to provide sound, safe recommendations to their customers, and to put their customers interests ahead of theirs, similar to a fiduciary responsibility. The concept of a fiduciary responsibility after all springs from a "trust" relationship. I would argue that a new diver, frequently a bit bewildered by a very gear intensive sport places a great deal of trust in the professionals who seek to sell them gear, training, trips etc.

I have long believed that one cannot solve a problem with out first defining the problem, and setting a standard against which progress or failure can be measured. #1, #2 and #3 are my standards.

I'm still a bit stunned that an individual, declaring their personal standards, with zero power to impose them on anyone else, would engender such raw responses.

Do I have any expectation that I can impose my standards on others? Of course not. I'm not that naive, but they just might provoke some to examine their own standards.

Nothing I've written in this post, or any other post in this thread should be interpreted as directed at any particular company, implicitly vs explicitly.

Tobin

naw..i've been cerich forever, when I worked at Mares/Dacor, the Oceanic and then HOG.. not gonna change. My staff have Deep6 user name to do stuff...me I am gonna keep being me
Chris,

I think one or the other work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom