The difference between fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ineedgills

Reaction score
What advantages do a Jet fin have over a typical paddle fin? Which would be better for river dives where the current could be bad and sudden bursts of energy would be needed, and which would be better for long ocean dives where energy conservation would be a big concern?

Jet Fins last longer that plastic fins. They give more power than either plastic or other rubber fins. They require less effort to propel you through the water. They give you better control. I'd use the Jets in either situation.

Frankly, I have "plastic" fins that are in excess of 10 years old and still very useable. (Mares Plana Avantis)

The best way to decide which fins are best for you is to test drive some. Many have pros & cons. A stiffer, heavier fin does not always equate to the best performance.

Do your homework. Take 'em for a swim. Then make your OWN decision.

~SubMariner~

I have the Tusa Zooms and the Mares Avantis....
The zooms were supposed to be the end all fin....but I find the worthless in a current. My avantis work great in a current. ...especially this weekend off the coast of nc

on a calm day it doesnt matter which i use....both perform the same. def agree with trying out the fins....but try them out in the worse conditions you will dive in....a pool is nice....but not much current there.

Can anyone tell me, or better yet, show a pic and tell me about spring straps as opposed to the regular clip on strap w. the pin? I've only had a few dives in when the pin broke on a strap I was using. I may have had it over-tightened at that time though.

Back
Top Bottom