The Cozumel Crud--June July 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobfmdc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Did anyone come back from Cozumel in June or July (2011) with a bad flu-like cold? Sore throat, sinus/bronchial infection, lots of green stuff, etc.?

Did you get it diagnosed?

It is really worse than a simple flu. I am hearing that some of the others in my party have it now.

I came down with it June 28, 7 days into a 10 day stay, so I know it came from Coz.

My advice is to go get some meds ASAP, because, as of July 5, I still have it.

You should sterilize your computer screen after reading this.

Last edited:
Where did your group stay and eat? Sounds like a food or beverage issue maybe, for as little as my medical opinions are worth - make that very little, but still wondering.

Where did your group stay and eat? Sounds like a food or beverage issue maybe, for as little as my medical opinions are worth - make that very little, but still wondering.

No it is not a food/beverage issue.

It began as a sore throat and quickly moved to sinuses, bronchitis and fever. (All that made ear clearing on our last dive day a bit touchy.)

My purpose in this post was to see if anyone else had the same difficulty develop in the same time period and has determined what it might be. I got meds from an urgent care clinic after returning, but they don't try to classify the strain of infection. If it is just the flu, no big deal. But my infection is worse than anything I have had in some time, so if someone writes back and says "Hey I had the same stuff and it turned out to be XXXX strain flu," that would be useful info for others and whatever health authorities are interested in this sort of thing down there.

As for the place we stayed, I would rather not divulge that info because it is a good place and I have no evidence that the hotel is linked in any way to my problem. Plus, one of our dive guides came down with a similar problem before I did. As for eating, over 10 days, we ate at the same places everyone else recommends on this forum, so I couldn't single one out.

There is a place with known Legionaires disease problems. Of course they should have fixed it by now but it did happen and it is a nice place.
The place is the Sabor (aka Reef Club or Wyndham Cozumel).

Ok, as mentioned above, one of the hotels has had an ongoing problem with Legionnaire's Disease. It should have been fixed long ago, but the problem has gone on some time according to warnings from the State Dept I think it was.

Good luck...!!

There is a place with known Legionaires disease problems. Of course they should have fixed it by now but it did happen and it is a nice place.
The place is the Sabor (aka Reef Club or Wyndham Cozumel).

Yeah, I have heard about that. We did not stay there.

CDC issued the advisory. It was removed June 9 2011 after passing tests over a period of time.

Did anyone come back from Cozumel in June or July (2011) with a bad flu-like cold? Sore throat, sinus/bronchial infection, lots of green stuff, etc.?

Did you get it diagnosed?

It is really worse than a simple flu. I am hearing that some of the others in my party have it now.

I came down with it June 28, 7 days into a 10 day stay, so I know it came from Coz.

My advice is to go get some meds ASAP, because, as of July 5, I still have it.

You should sterilize your computer screen after reading this.

I came down with a milder case of it, started on the last day of a 10 day stay in early June, started with runny nose and sniffles, progressed into sore throat, only lasted about 4 days or so but tiredness went on for almost a week before I felt 100%. We stayed at the Hotel Cozumel, I got it, wife didn't.

Yeah, I have heard about that. We did not stay there.

Very glad to hear that since we will probably be boing back there again early next year.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom