The Cozumel Back Roll - How it is done:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the distance increases (i.e. your upper body is moving back while your legs remain stationary), then you are very likely to drag your legs on the boat trim, and it can hurt.

Exactly, you seem to agree with me, DON'T extend your legs. It is the whole extend your legs thing that bothers me. That seems bad. Doing that was the one time my legs had marks from other than hydroids....

Exactly, you seem to agree with me, DON'T extend your legs. It is the whole extend your legs thing that bothers me. That seems bad. Doing that was the one time my legs had marks from other than hydroids....

I think the confusion is your starting point is leaning forward slightly keeping your chest close to your knees. If you back roll and keep your knees into your chest, your legs should be clear. You would also likely over-rotate slightly from this position, making your legs clear the rail by even more.

For others, they are in a seated position (bent 90 degrees at the waist, and 90 degrees at the knees). Rolling from this starting position would require the knees to be slightly straightened (extended). Otherwise, as you fall off the side of the boat (with upper body parallel to the boat deck), your calves would catch the rail...ouch!

I think the idea is that 3 things need to happen in order to be a successful back roll:
1. you end up in the water
2. you have all of your equipment
3. it didn't hurt

How about on a crowded boat, crossing your ankles, so you don't finslap your buddy on the way in.

How about on a crowded boat, crossing your ankles, so you don't finslap your buddy on the way in.

Good one!

Even though we were a little hard on the OP, I think this thread has turned into a good resource for a new diver going on their first dive trip, and where they may have to do a back roll entry.

In Cozumel, I never enter the water from a backroll with my wing inflated. I just roll and go. Usually the DM tells us to get in and get down so that's what we do. I wait for my gf to roll in and start her descent first, then I follow.

I prefer the front flip entry if going off the back of the boat (or dock) to get rid of the crotch strap front wedgie (eek!!!) - just land in the water on your back with the tank going in first, your feet up, and holding mask & reg. It was fun to share this with the other invaders that tried it :D

I like the back roll entry the best since there is about 40 pounds of steel or aluminum hitting the water surface first and then the rest of me just eeeeeeases into the water.

In Cozumel, I never enter the water from a backroll with my wing inflated. I just roll and go. Usually the DM tells us to get in and get down so that's what we do. I wait for my gf to roll in and start her descent first, then I follow.

I prefer the front flip entry if going off the back of the boat (or dock) to get rid of the crotch strap front wedgie (eek!!!) - just land in the water on your back with the tank going in first, your feet up, and holding mask & reg. It was fun to share this with the other invaders that tried it :D

Cozumel is typically negative entry because of the current. If divers try to meet up on the surface before descending, they would be too spread out by the time everyone was in the water. So, it is easier for everyone to do a negative entry and meet up on the bottom (where there is much less current).

Without current or when a tail line is available, typically everyone will wait on the surface until all divers are in the water and descend together.

In any case, it should all be contained in the briefing.

I like the back roll entry the best since there is about 40 pounds of steel or aluminum hitting the water surface first and then the rest of me just eeeeeeases into the water.

This ^.

Yeah when I say kick your legs, I just straighten them when I roll back - so maybe kick is a bad way to describe it. I should have filmed the 1st ppl off the boat now that I think of it!

Would be nice if anyone else with a GP would make a real instructional vid of the back roll in proper form - would be handy for a sticky for new divers who have never done it before to reference.

Cozumel is typically negative entry because of the current. If divers try to meet up on the surface before descending, they would be too spread out by the time everyone was in the water. So, it is easier for everyone to do a negative entry and meet up on the bottom (where there is much less current).

We almost always gather for the big ok before descending. It may be quick if there is significant current though.

Back
Top Bottom