The Cozumel Back Roll - How it is done:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice video.

did you have a buddy?

I always buddy with the DM's when possible.

you should always use one hand to hold mask against your face and reg in your mouth! Cameras can be handed down to you by DM or boat capt. I have seen people lose their mask by not holding it.

For the sake of high end instruction film production (:rofl3:) - I risked it. :D

I wouldn't call that entry crazy. From your description, it's going to the entry point with your back facing the water and then hopping in backwards, hitting your back/BCD to the water first. It's a legitimate entry method. At Ogden Point in Victoria, that's the typical entry because the entry points' water is shallower (maybe three to four feet deep to the next block) and this method prevents you from dropping too much at first (and allows you to hop past that first shallow block).

we were told that for shallow sites and unstable platforms the controlled seated entry is the best option

we were told that for shallow sites and unstable platforms the controlled seated entry is the best option

I would agree with that, jumping into shallow water is not a good idea. A little over-rotation and you are head first into the bottom.

Ogden Point is special. At many water levels it's not obvious where to sit if the level of the water is out of whack with the big stone blocks that make up the breakwater, breaking waves smack you around while sitting, and sitting on the lower blocks (where the water is :)) is likely to make a million little holes in your drysuit.

And make sure your free from anything that could snag you. I was sitting on the edge of the boat rail trying to balance against the rocking boat with 7 other divers all waiting for the signal to all roll back at once when I luckily looked down and noticed that the pile of tanks I had my right fin resting on, the valve had popped through an opening on my hinged fins. Had I not noticed it, and was able to free myself before the roll back, I would have ended up hanging upside down over the rail head under water with fin holding me to the boat. That would have been a bitch!

In the Marines we'd say "for instructional purposes... xyz... " where XYZ is something you normally wouldn't do and you were prefacing it with a disclaimer saying that you are doing this for the purpose of instructing something else.

Wow, picky aren't we.......all I posted was a vid showing what the back roll entry is........in no way shape or form did I insinuate it was a PADI dive class video on proper back roll entry lol. :D

I will let the experts point out correct form, as I by no means am an expert. I just fall off the boat REALLY well lol!!!!!

I learned that the hard way in Cozumel and it was indeed painful.

Richard.
Yo tambien. Once I caught the gunwale right behind a knee on the way in, and it hurt for weeks. Experiences like that tend to form habits quickly. I get a little twinge in my calf muscle each and every time I am sitting there waiting for the cue to go.

Back
Top Bottom