The Cozumel Back Roll - How it is done:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having seen questions every now and then from divers who have never done a back roll entry, I thought it would be fun to video tape myself doing them in Cozumel with my GoProOnAPole to show how it goes. :)

The key to the back roll is when you fall backwards, kick your feet straight out to avoid hooking your calves/heels on the side of the boat. It really can hurt if you don't!

[video=vimeo;45518048]https://vimeo.com/45518048[/video]

When diving in Coz off of 6/8 pack boats, this is how you will be entering the water.

well, since this was intended as an instructional video, I am going to voice my thoughts :)

1. the BC should have been adjusted prior to entry.

- If a negative entry, it should have been empty, and there should be no need to adjust it.
- If a positive entry, again, should be no need to adjust

2. whether positive or negative, when you pop up to the surface, a signal should be given to the boat

3. you point out that the "key" is what you do with your feet, however the camera doesn't capture that

I am guessing the intent was more about playing with your new camera on a pole, than trying to demonstrate a back roll, and if so, you can disregard what I said previously, and I'll just add, that is some nice clear video!

Typically a good idea to hold your reg & mask in place with one hand (I think you had a free hand to do that), and, if my other hand is not holding something (eg, spear) I will hold the back strap on my mask with it. I do dislike being slowed down to look for my mask ;-)

Most Importantly, if you are doing a back roll with other divers beside you, DO NOT go if you miss the count. Stay on board, the Capt. will let you know when it is clear. And, I suppose, if the guy next to you jumps the count you may want to save him your tank imprint on his face and wait til you're told it's clear.

Good tip on the heel and Achilles tendon pain avoidance.

Back entries are so easy that my 7 y/o can do them. That's all we did in Jamaica with their little boats.

But I did see something crazy the other day. We were on a boat that does giat string entries and a local instructor goes and does a back entry. It was basically standing backwards and jumping off to do a suicide back flop. The splash and wake went everywhere. Another diver on the boat then said "oh, I should do that, I'm always afraid I'm going to slip on the deck when I do a giant stride entry."

I didn't want to argue with people but I couldn't help thing "really??"

The key to the back roll is when you fall backwards, kick your feet straight out to avoid hooking your calves/heels on the side of the boat. It really can hurt if you don't!

I learned that the hard way in Cozumel and it was indeed painful.

Richard.

Cool video, I liked the part where you could see all the other divers up above you.

Now if you really want to impress me, next time do a belly flop entry!!!

But I did see something crazy the other day. We were on a boat that does giat string entries and a local instructor goes and does a back entry. It was basically standing backwards and jumping off to do a suicide back flop. The splash and wake went everywhere.

I wouldn't call that entry crazy. From your description, it's going to the entry point with your back facing the water and then hopping in backwards, hitting your back/BCD to the water first. It's a legitimate entry method. At Ogden Point in Victoria, that's the typical entry because the entry points' water is shallower (maybe three to four feet deep to the next block) and this method prevents you from dropping too much at first (and allows you to hop past that first shallow block).

I had the camera in one hand, and a lens filter in the other......so no free hands. :)

No belly flops here - I make a big enough splash as is!

nice video.

did you have a buddy?

Back
Top Bottom