The controversies surrounding cardio training Part I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, in trying to keep this section of the forum up to speed, I've decided to integrate a monthly article that will cover different aspects of strength, conditioning, and fitness. It is my hope that you will see the presented topics with a more analytical eye and in turn derive benefit from it.

This Months article is titled : "Misinterpreted and misguided, the overrated emphasis on “Cardio” Part I". Is part 1 of 3 article series. You are more than welcome to post your comments and ask questions, but you cannot post the article in this site.

The article will be removed in June 15th and replaced with part 2 of the series. I hope you enjoy it. Good health & Happy Diving

Thank you for sharing the article, I'm looking forward to future installments. I started with cardio because the weight machines were intimidating. After a while they piqued my curiosity enough to get signed up for the YMCA fitness program so I could learn to use them. The free weight room is still too intimidating for me to venture in there without someone to "show me the ropes" since I feel like I don't belong. Maybe one day. I like heavy weight with low reps and I use my heart monitor on the weight machines as well as the cardio ones. While my heart rate doesn't go as high doing the weights as the cardio it does get to about 70% of my target rate.
Ber :lilbunny:

Great, I was hoping you would do this.

Ber Rabbit:
I like heavy weight with low reps and I use my heart monitor on the weight machines as well as the cardio ones. While my heart rate doesn't go as high doing the weights as the cardio it does get to about 70% of my target rate.
Ber :lilbunny:

As long as you are mindful of the risks vs. the benefits of heavy lifting, nothing wrong with that.

As far as the demands of weight training on your cardiovascular systems vs. conventional cardio, it all depends on the exercise and its energy demands. For instance, when properly and safely executed, the explosive lifts (like the clean and jerk) produce a far higher output of energy than any other form of lifting that you can find. 85% of a lift may not seem that strenuous if we think of traditonal exercises like deadlifts and benches, even squats, but nothing will get your heart rate up and feel so grueling like 3 reps of the clean executed in proper form. For an example on how the clean should be executed, please click here.

Does that mean the clean is far better exercise than squats, or deadlifts, or benches. Nope, it is simply of a different nature, and it is the demands of its proper execution what requires such a huge energy output.

If you are not familar with the clean, don't even attempt it without proper coaching. You can still get an excellent challenge by approaching your resistance training differently. If you are ready for it, try supersetting and upper and lower body exercise at about 75%-80% of the max for those exercises. Your monitor will tell you what's going on. :) Thanks for the feedback. Happy training and safe diving!

Great article coach!

Have you ever read 'Brawn' by Stuart McRobert? It has been my bible for awhile now.

Just getting back into weight training now. Started my weight training cycle back @50% for a while and starting to work back up. Time between sets would be critical to me for a good cardio/weight training session keeping the heart rate up. I'll stick with the squats & deadlifts for now.....clean and jerk? oooff those would wipe me out!!:)

Funny how you see people having 5-10 min conversations between sets and then wonder why they never see results.:shakehead

johnnyseko:
Funny how you see people having 5-10 min conversations between sets and then wonder why they never see results.:shakehead

Yep, the same ones who tell you "I don't understand, I train for 2 hours every day and I see no results.":shakehead "Brawn" is one of those classic, pure guts, old school manuals. Kind of like "Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" Not the best when it comes to putting science, but a terrific pep talk and a very much "quit your whining" attitude that I like very much :) Happy and safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom