The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are we allowed to dive left of the beach area around the east bridge by the wall? also what about under the pier and north down that long wall to the other side of the park?? from what i remember there is lots of rocks and stuff at the north side of the park.

The east bridge (left side of beach while looking south) is closed for diving and swimming. There are floats with signs which indicate how close you can get. People still dive and swim on the 'east side', they are just staying south of the bridge. West side is open and you can dive under the fishing pier.

I have never been around to the north side of Phil Foster Park (the island) and I've done almost 100 dives at BHB. There are boat launches and docks and plenty of boat traffic on the north and northeast side of the island, so I'd be very careful. One of the guys at Force-E told me that he did that sort of dive once: rode the incoming tide north around the island and then the out going tide south along the other side of the island: was an interesting experience, but he has not done it again and I don't think he plans to repeat the dive. I'd think that every thing you'll want to see is generally on the east or west side.

Video Dude and I had a nice dive today - joined by Joe8mofo and Awesome Fish. We did see a manatee at the beginning of the dive! It's fun to see everything through the fresh eyes of someone who has never been there before.

Ran into someone afterwards who saw a school of either cow or bull nose rays. Someone else saw a wonderful black sea horse. We saw the manatee ... Three women were sharing oatmeal raisin cookies by yet another car.

That's the great thing about BHB. It's always a treasure hunt and no one goes home empty handed.

Water temp 70 degrees at 3:45pm.

I for one had a great 1:14 dive. Thanks again for letting me tag along, I saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. I believe that with a thicker wetsuit 2 hours would have been a piece of cake. Did anyone else see the stargazer? I believe that TheAwesomeFish took a photo of it. There were many different eels to see, thanks for pointing those out.

No pics of the manatee but I DO have a video clip:

YouTube - 1.15.11 Manatee at Blue Heron Bridge

Dive overall was good. Viz got a bit milky after we saw the manatee, so I ended up with lots of close up videos of smaller critters. Still, you can't beat what you DO get to see here on every single dive!!

Video Dude and I had a nice dive today - joined by Joe8mofo and Awesome Fish. We did see a manatee at the beginning of the dive! It's fun to see everything through the fresh eyes of someone who has never been there before.

Ran into someone afterwards who saw a school of either cow or bull nose rays. Someone else saw a wonderful black sea horse. We saw the manatee ... Three women were sharing oatmeal raisin cookies by yet another car.

That's the great thing about BHB. It's always a treasure hunt and no one goes home empty handed.

Water temp 70 degrees at 3:45pm.
Not a good picture but I wanted to share that moment

eagl.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom