The Bonaire report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To begin with, a big thanks to those with guidence prior to our first Bonaire trip. It helped alot.

As noted this was our first trip to the Island. We only have Roatan (Cocoview resort 3 times) and Grand Cayman (Cobalt Coast/Dievtech) as a basis for opinion.

Flight was easy but made for a long day. Midnight from LAX, 4 hours to Atlanta, 2 hours on the ground and 4 more to Bonaire. Things get a bit weird after 36 hours without sleep.

Met our freinds at the airport and got through customs in less than an hour. Richard, the father portion of the father son team from Chicago, quickly found our resort contact. Grabbed our bags, complete, intact and on time, and off to Belmar Apartments.

Our bags were shuttled off to our 2bed 2 bath lower level apartment while we were lead to the clean, well laid out dive shop. In short order we had our "Marine Park Brefiefing" and our tags to prove it. Vouchers signed, C cards checked and weights in hand.

As the sun took it's decent we chased it into the depths. Our first dive just 3 hours from touchdown. Not bad.

Within 1000psi we have seen 5 eels. I am used to seeing 1 or 2 a day from previous experience.

We make it a short dive. I need sleeeeeep! Easy exit from solid stairs to a smooth pier with fresh water shower and rinse tanks. As well as fresh aluminum 80 and 72's!

So far, so good. But I am leaving out one thing. Shopping. Before the first dive we had to hit the only open store before it closed. We then paid $250 US for basic staples.
I know I am whining. Like I said, things get weird without sleep. Or maybe it is just vacation mode. What ever it was, that trip to the grocery store and the ones to follow seemed painfully testing. In hind site, it was nothing. Just something to think about if you are used to all inclusive or resort type vacations.

Now that the sobbing is over, what the shopping did afford us was a lack of schedule. We ate breakfast when we wanted. Packed luches or ate at home. Had no schedule at all.....almost.

We did dive the town peir which required lack of a ship, clearence from the Harbor Master and an authorized DM. Well worth it. Spectacular colors.

We did a 2 tank boat trip to Klein Bonaire. Ehh. Did see a nice frog fish but not worth it to us.

And we did an East side beach dive with a Local DM. I liked it but I am glad my wife did not make this one.

Other than those three events we did not need a clock. Total indepenence.

As for the diving. We dove from North to South and really prefered the South. Margate Bay, Invisibles and Angel City were by far our favorites. The latter two getting repeat visits.

The reefs are healthy and hold an amazing amount of life. Clouds of small fish, shrimp, eels, squid, rays.......The coral and sponge life is beautiful.

The biggest surprize of the week was the house reef. Wow. It is not marked and does not have a mooring can. It was all ours. We really did not need to go anywhere else. We did the East end dive to try to get Eagle ray shots. Then I spent 15 minutes all alone with one on the house reef. Not to mention the fleet of over 40 squid that were following me and making a very strange swishing sound. This dive really did have it all!

Food on the island was another surprise. The food on Roatan just sucks. It fills a void and fuels the following dive. Cayman was ok but nothing great. Bonaire on the other hand......
The City Cafe is basicaly a big sports bar by the town pier. We got alot more than expected. right across the road is Salsa. Wow. This place would make our top ten at home. Great stuff.

Will we be back? oh yesss. Is it my favorite? Not quite. It was my wife's favorite. She loved it. I still like the ease of diving at CocoView. 4 boat dives a day and your gear is ready to go when you get there. All you need to lift is a fork to fill the aformentioned void with tastless food. I also love wall diving. Of which southern Roatan is much stronger. So I will go back to Roatan.
That said, water clearity, fish life, types of fish life, freedom of schedules and food hold Bonaire as our new top spot.

One side note. I have had about 3 Mosquito bites in my life. In Bonaire I was a buffet. Never read about bugs in Bonaire. They are there......

Attachments

• 007.jpg.jpg
    007.jpg.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 86
  • lettuceleafnudi.jpg
    lettuceleafnudi.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 76
  • frogfish.jpg
    frogfish.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 73
  • frenchangel.jpg
    frenchangel.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 72
  • wife.jpg
    wife.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 83
  • pedersonwitheggs.jpg
    pedersonwitheggs.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
  • fleet.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86
  • eagleray.jpg
    eagleray.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report. We're heading out on Friday for our first trip to Bonaire (2 weeks) and are looking forward to exactly what you describe....diving freedom. We don't believe it'll eclipse our love of liveaboard diving, but a close second would be great. :)

We've been well versed on the mosquitos on Bonaire so already have the bug spray ready to be packed.

Thanks Scuba e, great post. I am heading to Bonaire this Saturday staying at Buddy Dive - and can't wait!

Did you dive at Red Slave? heard great things about this spot.

If you like a wall dive the "the Cliff" is pretty good. Not real deap, 15' - 80' as I recall, but very nice. The invisibles was one of my favorites as well, and of the "double reefs" we dove it was the best. Karpata, and the finger ridges going up the reef is really unique. Just talking about it makes me want to go back.
Hit the "local" restaurants also, the local food is great.

Great trip report Suba e. I'm glad that you enjoyed the island. How were the currents when you were there? I'm reading that they're having unusually wicked currents at times lately. Bob

Did you dive at Red Slave? heard great things about this spot.[/quote]

Dove right next to it; Margate Bay. Talked to a couple who say 4 Spotted Eagle Rays there. More swimming on the south end but I thought it was worth it. Alot of life in the sand flats if you just slow it down. Have a great time.

Great trip report! Brings back good memories. Did you like the Belmar?

Yes, nice place. Clean, towels twice a week. A/C in rooms. Good frige/icemaker. Dish washer. Dont know if the TV worked because we never tried it. Wireless for a charge, reception occationaly. Good dive shop. No food service of any kind.

Nice pool, enough parking, great views.

Pier has nice setup, well lit, always had fresh tanks and clean rinse tanks.

Once again, the house reef may be the fishiest dive on the island. Reason enough to stay.

The condos are condusive to families so rugrats are a probability but when we were there it was quiet.

Near the airport without the noise. 5 Minutes to downtown.

We will stay there again.

Just a note. When asking for a dive suggestion at the shop we were whisked about a mile down (North) from Belmar. Our dive shop employee/driver dropped us off before returning our car, keys and bags to our room. We proceeded with a very fun drift dive (ok, no current, so more of a swim) back to the dock at Belmar. Fun bonus and just a reflection of the staff and it's helpfulness.

Great Trip report.

I found the grocery thing really varied by store for prices selection etc... We shopped at the Wharehouse mostly. I think it really depends on what you are buying.

I second the city cafe we did breakfast there after the red eye in an 2 dinners.

The rib place above KFC is also good but the veiw is awesome (we got the special of the day kabobs and I had a couple ribs).

Back
Top Bottom