The Bonaire report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that Bonaire restaurants aren't any more expensive than many other places, however, there aren't as many choices on Bonaire. For instance, I'd say that it can be just as expensive (or more) to eat when we go to Maui, however there are far more choices of places to eat than Bonaire.

I think we get used to eating at places like Red Robin (chains), and our local eateries where we know the cost and can make choices. The first week on Bonaire we spent a lot of time figuring out where was good to eat, what prices were, etc. and the second week we spent about 1/3 less.

The place where Bonaire is expensive is at the grocery store and at the gas pump, but honestly (again) isn't much more than Maui prices. We just had to shop smarter and next year when we go (I hope) we'll be more prepared.

Still really enjoyed meals at Rum Runners, Pasa Bon Pizza, Bobbejans, the schoarma guy at the Sand Dollar grocery store, Lover's Ice Cream, Buddy's pool side bar, and Papaya Moon....and found all of these places to be very reasonably priced with good food and portions.

We shopped at the Wharehouse.

I for get the name for the resturant on the corner on the main road through town its blue colored with a parrot on the sign great for lunch. Pasa Bon Pizza was a good value and good pizza. The Rib place above KFC was also really good and reasonable. Others have mentioned Cactus blue, which we also really enjoyed. I also thought the City Cafe was reasonable with good food.

It may be that the restaraunts seem expensive because people are having beers and deserts they might not be trying at home.

If you try the mixed grill for two at Casa Blanca you can take home enough food for two more days. Fogon Latino is not expensive.

PBD. PBD. uh oh

I agree that Bonaire restaurants aren't any more expensive than many other places, however, there aren't as many choices on Bonaire. For instance, I'd say that it can be just as expensive (or more) to eat when we go to Maui, however there are far more choices of places to eat than Bonaire.
Maui? The population of Maui is 150,000. The population of Bonaire is 14,000. Maui has back to back high-rise resort complexes and condos stretching from Wailea all the way up to Kapalua with only a few breaks in between. Of course there are more places to eat.

But unless you're comparing Pizza Hut to Capriccio or Maui Tacos to Papaya Moon, there's no comparison in prices. Mama's Fish House charges in the $40+ range for their fish dishes. I believe their crab-stuffed mahimahi runs around $54. Even the Plantation House in Kapalua which is my all-time budget favorite charges mid $30s for their fish dishes. In Bonaire, you'll be hard-pressed to find any fish entree for over $20. Lion's Den, for example, charges either $20 or $17.15 for their "catch" with choice of 5 different preparations.

I think we get used to eating at places like Red Robin (chains), and our local eateries where we know the cost and can make choices. The first week on Bonaire we spent a lot of time figuring out where was good to eat, what prices were, etc. and the second week we spent about 1/3 less.
Sure, but comparing Patagonia to Red Robin or Capriccio to Olive Garden or Mona Lisa to Hometown Buffet is hardly comparing apples to apples.

Still really enjoyed meals at Rum Runners, Pasa Bon Pizza, Bobbejans, the schoarma guy at the Sand Dollar grocery store, Lover's Ice Cream, Buddy's pool side bar, and Papaya Moon....and found all of these places to be very reasonably priced with good food and portions.
I consider all those places reasonably priced as well, and a good representation of Bonaire cuisine. So where are all the expensive places that the other poster was complaining about?

Mossman, that was what I was trying to say (badly).....it's about perception that Bonaire is more expensive than other places, not necessarily reality.

I only pointed out the whole chain thing because there aren't any on Bonaire (except KFC and Subway) which takes some folks out of their comfort zones. Also people will make comparisons between what they normally pay to go out and what they pay on Bonaire without considering the variables....they only consider what comes out of their pockets.

You're 100% correct about everything you said.

Mossman, that was what I was trying to say (badly).....it's about perception that Bonaire is more expensive than other places, not necessarily reality.
OK, I can get that. No one complains that Cozumel is expensive because one can always go to McDonalds or find some cheap tacos and beer or stay at a budget all-inclusive, though any fine dining on Cozumel will set you back far more than Bonaire with inferior ingredients, IMO.

Bonaire, on the other hand, except for a few local food places, Bobbejan's, and Pasa Bon (and KFC and Subway), has pretentious European food with fancy Eye-Talian or French names, that somehow scare people into thinking they're pricey even though that Filet Rossini (with Foie Gras) on the set menu at Mona Lisa ends up costing little more than a bucket of extra crunchy at KFC.

I only pointed out the whole chain thing because there aren't any on Bonaire (except KFC and Subway) which takes some folks out of their comfort zones. Also people will make comparisons between what they normally pay to go out and what they pay on Bonaire without considering the variables....they only consider what comes out of their pockets.
Sure, which is why the cost of gasoline there is also a source of frequent complaints. Yet, when gas is figured into the total cost of making 4 or more excellent wall dives per day on nitrox, the total cost of quality diving on Bonaire is a bargain compared to nearly anywhere else in the world.

So I take my savings from the diving, add them to the cost of fast food meals, and end up being able to "upgrade" to fine dining every night without fazing my pocketbook. That's why I love Bonaire, and why these next six weeks are going to roll by reaaaaaaally slooooooooow.

You're 100% correct about everything you said.
Are you married? I could use a wife like you.

Even I never agree with myself 100%.

Two languages = bilingual

Three languages = trilingual

One language = American

LOLOLOL!!!! That is soo true.

I felt bad one year when I met a tow truck driver on the island..he spoke 5 languages. :shakehead: Here I am, with degrees, certifications (non-scuba ones) and I cant even form a sentence in Spanish unless it has cuss words in it.

Ohh, and you people complaining about food prices...come on..

You spend X amount of money to get to the island and back, stay on the island, do whatever on the island etc..and you complain of high food prices????

It's like buying a Hummer and complaining of gas prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom