The Bonaire report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great trip report Suba e. I'm glad that you enjoyed the island. How were the currents when you were there? I'm reading that they're having unusually wicked currents at times lately. Bob

One of the boat dives on the south side (South Bay was the site) had about a 1knot current for about 10 minutes. Just hid behind a coral head and watched the OW divers and their instructor huff and puff.
The East side was moving pretty good as well.
Seemed like every dive people were coming out complaining of currents and we dropped into dead calm. Guess we just had lucky timing.

How were the currents when you were there? I'm reading that they're having unusually wicked currents at times lately.
I've been watching the winds lately in order to try to build an understanding of the wind/wave/current situation, and there hasn't been much green in the wind row recently.

I've been watching the winds lately in order to try to build an understanding of the wind/wave/current situation, and there hasn't been much green in the wind row recently.

Yeah...it ain't looking too good for me this weekend. I'll just have to change ends of the island.

I just got back from Bonaire yesterday. Had a good time, diving was great, I loved how quiet the island is, not all the hustle and bustle like Curacao. The only thing that caught me by surprise was how just how expensive everything down there is. I spent everything I took just on food, so if you are going for your first time expect and plan for that.

I do not remember all the names of the dive sites, but I think I liked the Salt Pier the best. The current wasn't bad but you do have to be careful.

The very first time I jumped off the dock at the hotel I saw a turtle about a foot wide. I only saw one squid on a night dive, but other members of my group saw a lot of squid (couple of octos too), even during the day. There was also a huge bait ball of sardines or something that was hanging out under the hotel pier.

In reference to the eel comment in the original post, the most eels I have ever seen in one place was the Mushroom Forest in Curacao. I must have seen over 40 on that one dive. I would find an anemone and every time there would be two or three eels near by.

I quit diving the south side of Bonaire because I heard the ocean is unpredictable. I also heard that sometimes the reef will go from parallel to the shore to perpendicular within seconds.

I also heard that if you keep descending sooner or later you will hit a thermocline...so now I make sure all of my dives are done 20ft or above while on Bonaire.

A few years back I was wading into a site on the south side of the island and some people were coming out. I asked them how the dive went and the dude told me how the current was ripping.

So as I kicked out to the site I was prepared for..well, stronger than normal current. Drop down and...and...no current. Yes it could of dwindled down before I got to it, but doubtful.

More likely is the dude was just full of crap. I quit asking people about the conditions and generally just quit talking to people. For one, I'm really tired of looking at some guys bananna hammock in my face, not to mention I can barely understand them due to my own lack of bilingualness or trilingualness, or quadlingualness.

I mostly stick to diving the south side as my favorite sites are down there and no matter what the water conditions are I'm pretty much assured an easy exit. In fact, a huge ripping current is preferred as that is fun.

We just returned from Bonaire on Saturday after 2 weeks on the island, and although we were prepared for how expensive the island is, it was somewhat shocking to see prices anyway. By the second week, we had figured out where to go for good, inexpensive dinners and probably spent 1/2 the amount of money the second week than the first.

We seemed to alternate days diving either north or south sites in the mornings. Since they are pretty different in topography, it kept things fresh and interesting the whole time. Conditions were fabulous with little to no current, and we only got blown out of diving the southern site we wanted once (entry would have been to risky with a camera).

We're already planning our return for next year. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom