The Big Secret...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodive4

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone really realize that there is no law saying you have to be certified by an agency to SCUBA dive?

The reality is that there is no law that states you must have a c-card to go diving. Government has no regulation in the industry. What this means is simple. Anyone who wants to go diving can - and they dont have to pay for training of any sort to be able to do it.

The only things that may stop a person from going diving (some places) without a certification are 1. a dive shop that wont fill a tank without seeing a c-card... but then again you could buy your own compressor or have a friend get the fills, or 2. a dive boat that won't let you on without a c-card... but you can always buy your own boat or rent one.

Now don't get me wrong.. I do not advocate diving without training. What I am saying is that you can teach your friends how to dive and go diving with them anytime you want. The risks? Liability if they should get injured or die... but then again you're likely going to be at the other end of a lawsuit even if your buddy was trained by an agency... if they die while diving with you or on your boat.

The big scam in all of this is that once you reach the Instructor level (with any agency,) you could easily start your own agency and start certifying students at whatever price you wanted. You just need to buy professional liability insurance.

There is no need to be a member of the RSTC... there are many agencies that are not. There really is no need to even be an Instructor before doing this... except that I think it's a good idea. If you want to talk about risks... I'm likely not going to risk any more teaching on my own then I would if I was teaching for an agency...

I have yet to see a boat turn down any type of certification... regardless of the agency. If it says Open Water Diver on it and has your name and a number... no one is turning it down. Perhaps you'll call yourself BSDA... Bill's Scuba Diving Agency... make up some nice cards and go for it... there is nothing stopping you.

Just wanted to remind everyone that the major agencies are only big players because we've allowed them to be. They only take all our money for training because we allow them to. Happy Diving...

Ken

toodive4:
Does anyone really realize that there is no law saying you have to be certified by an agency to SCUBA dive?

Now look. You've gone and blabbed it to everyone.

The big scam in all of this is that once you reach the Instructor level (with any agency,) you could easily start your own agency and start certifying students at whatever price you wanted. You just need to buy professional liability insurance.

No, the really big scam is to go to instructor trainer level. Then examiner. But you're right, owning an agency is the road to riches, fame, happiness and countless hot chick groupies dressed in sweaty rubber.

I have yet to see a boat turn down any type of certification... regardless of the agency. If it says Open Water Diver on it and has your name and a number... no one is turning it down. Perhaps you'll call yourself BSDA... Bill's Scuba Diving Agency... make up some nice cards and go for it... there is nothing stopping you.

That would be Bob's SCUBA Diving Association. Get it right

Rats!, they beat you to it: http://www.nles.com/store/catalog/Certified_Scuba_ID_Card-p-262.html

Just wanted to remind everyone that the major agencies are only big players because we've allowed them to be. They only take all our money for training because we allow them to. Happy Diving...

Ken

Hey Kenny- did you know that there's no law that says you have to pay the IRS taxes?

That’s OK, you don’t need a pilot’s license to fly a plane if you never enter federal airspace and remain over your own private property at all times – possible, but very limiting.

Bill51:
That’s OK, you don’t need a pilot’s license to fly a plane if you never enter federal airspace and remain over your own private property at all times – possible, but very limiting.

i've got a spaghetti farm that is 20 miles long and only 300 feet wide- sounds perfect for doing laps in my unlicensed airplane...

toodive4:
Now don't get me wrong.. I do not advocate diving without training. What I am saying is that you can teach your friends how to dive and go diving with them anytime you want. The risks? Liability if they should get injured or die... but then again you're likely going to be at the other end of a lawsuit even if your buddy was trained by an agency... if they die while diving with you or on your boat.Ken

Of course you are advocating diving without training. I know it's not rocket science but it does take some know-how to teach someone to dive safely.

Risks? Enormous. Your comparison is just silly.

toodive4:
The big scam in all of this is that once you reach the Instructor level (with any agency,) you could easily start your own agency and start certifying students at whatever price you wanted. You just need to buy professional liability insurance.Ken

Where's the scam?

That insurance is going to be cheap...not!

toodive4:
There is no need to be a member of the RSTC... there are many agencies that are not. There really is no need to even be an Instructor before doing this... except that I think it's a good idea. If you want to talk about risks... I'm likely not going to risk any more teaching on my own then I would if I was teaching for an agency...Ken

Risks? Enormous... way more than if you were teaching for a recognized agency.

toodive4:
I have yet to see a boat turn down any type of certification... regardless of the agency. If it says Open Water Diver on it and has your name and a number... no one is turning it down. Perhaps you'll call yourself BSDA... Bill's Scuba Diving Agency... make up some nice cards and go for it... there is nothing stopping you.Ken

Sure...if you say so!

toodive4:

Students pay for a service and at bargain basement prices, I might add.

What a load of BS. I smell a troll.

I can't believe this never came up before!!!! Oh wait, it did. Isn't that where GUE and all the other agencies came from?

the only things pretaining to diving as far as laws are.
Dive flag required by USDOT but that goes even for swimmers and snorklers technically as a hazard to navagation.
and another one requi9red by USDOT is the hydro on your tanks...
because its a compressed gas cylinder.
as for being certified....
thats more of a the more you know the better you are kinda thing

Old news. I taught myself to dive. Built my own 1st tank. Damn near killed myself but what the hay.

toodive4:

correct, and as you mention, so long as you can get your own air and
use your own boat, you'll be set

(that leaves out most dive vacations where you can't bring your own boat
and compressor with you)

i know a guy who dove for years without a c-card, not understanding
the tables, and following his buddy, who would tell him when to start
heading back to the surface...he survived, believe it or not

his "buddy" never bothered to explain the "don't hold your breath" part,
nor taught him about slow ascents... nothing like that... they just went
diving, for several years...

believe it or not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/