The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be staying at Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa. Does anyone know what the closest dive operator there isÉ

Most of the major OPs are back down towards Kona. Google turned up two ops up in that area...

Blue Wilderness Dive Corp right next to where you are staying and

Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers up north in the harbor. Don't have any experience with either of the them personally. The blue wilderness boat was moored in the bay in front of the Marriott our entire trip and we never saw it move....make of it what you will.

Another option we really enjoyed was shore diving in Puako with Jackson

Pricing | Dive Puako Hawaii

small operation, but a sweet guy - but it is possible that the area could be rough in the winter?!?!?!

Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures...The Best!!

We will be staying at Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa. Does anyone know what the closest dive operator there isÉ

Greens? Just around the corner from me.

Two dive ops work the South Kohala Coast. Blue Wilderness launches their boat from Puako or Kawaihae on most days, this is either 15 or 20min from your rental. Kohala Divers moors their boat in the Kawaihae Small Boat harbor, again about 20 min away. Otherwise it is down to Honokohau, about 35 min to the rest of the Kona dive ops (much longer if you have to go to the shops in town for rental gear, paperwork, etc.). BW has a shop in the Queen's Shops at Waikoloa, Kohala has a store just above the Kawaihae harbor. I have been out with both Blue Wilderness and Kohala any number of times, you will not go wrong with either.

Blue Wilderness Dive Corp
Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers

I also recommend Kona Diving Company. Their service and genuine attention to detail are top notch. I've dived with them more times than I can count and have never been disappointed.

Just got back from the Big Island a few weeks ago and also highly recommend Kona Diving Company. Loved the small dive groups and long dive times (had an 86 minute dive with them one day!).

Just a bunch of really nice people (felt like going out diving with friends every day).

Dont forget to do the Manta night dive at least once!

If people are interested, check out my video below from the trip:

Kona Dreaming on Vimeo

PS. For those interested in underwater photography, be sure to stop by Joshua Lambus's gallery in Kailua. He has some pretty amazing prints from black water Pelagic dives around the island

Was just out with Kona Diving Company last month and I completely agree with everything you have said here.

Your video is out of this world. A+

PS. For those interested in underwater photography, be sure to stop by Joshua Lambus's gallery in Kailua. He has some pretty amazing prints from black water Pelagic dives around the island

Do it!! I came home with three prints - his art is awesome and is a really cool guy as well

If you decide to go with a shop in town (Kona) I would also suggest Kona Dive Company. I dove with them on 5 trips and rented tanks also during August and really enjoyed thier operation. The whole crew and boat are great, they let you dive your air unless you do a drift dive, and which case you may be more limited. To top it off they had the best package price I could find, and were flexible on schedules for if you wanted to do a night reef dive. I could also fall in love with Jordan and Katy who usually are the guides for the manta dive, and run the shop. Kate the owner and primary divemaster is awesome, and passionate about the world underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom