The best all around Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you have admitted that you are willing to spend around $500, you are probably looking at a 10 watt HID. As others have mentioned, in a cave where the only light is what you bring with you a 10 watt is fine as your eyes will adjust. I would reccommend that it is worth spending some extra for an adjustable light for general use, but in a cave the light will usually stay on "spot". If your diving is general recreational diving in moderate vis waters, like Southern California with 25 foot vis being about normal then the 10 watt in the daytime will come up short. The problem is that even with the moderate visibility you are still competing with the sun and the only lights that can really cut through in the day time are the 21 watt units. Warning, these are almost certainly out of your price range, but I have noticed that prices on HID lights in general have been dropping, if you wait perhaps they will be "affordable" enough to get one.

On a night dive the key is to get all of the divers who will be together to dive with comperable lights. I was on a dive last Monday night and there were 4 of us in the water, three of us had 10 watt lights and Mo2vation had his 21 watt light sabre, he completely blew us away. In my opinion his light was too bright for a night dive, it tends to be too much light for the creatures that come out at night. There are things that a diver can do to mitigate this problem such as setting your light to a "flood" beam spread and taking care not to shine it directly at the creatures. Ken is pretty good with his light, but there is still the relative brightness issue. When his light was in my field of vision it did make the others difficult to keep track of.

One of the uses of these high intensity lights is for signaling, and one of the things divers do is to simply see their buddys light to check on him / her. If I see the light I know they are fine.

I have a 10 watt Sartek adjustable beam light, and I am quite happy with it. The beam of light is of adequate quality, although the relatively small reflector makes for a lesser quality beam than some of the others I tested. The quality of the light head and battery cannister however was the highest of those I considered. The light is extremely rugged, and well thought out. I figured that a light with slightly better optics would not do me any good if it was broken in my bag on the way to the dive. I have not had any issues with my charger, it just works.

There are several good lights for you to consider, so take it slow and consider all of the options. Small overall size of the battery cannister is worth considering. Pick a light with a good reputation for after sale service, in this area Sartek, Salvo, and DiveRite are all highly regarded, as well as others.

Have fun,

Mark Vlahos

ive been looking at all the various lights.
im gettin the new oms 10 w. hid.
wicked nice unit, and the switch in on the light head too

Here goes screen captures from some video I shot entering the cavern zone in Peacock.

The light on the left is an 18w and the one on the right is a 10w.

In the second picture you can see the 10w beam and the 18w beam crossing each other.

I have the "old style" OMS 10W HID and I think it's awesome. My next light will be brighter, but I think I will keep the OMS. I have a problem with the switch not working, but I took it apart, beat it up, and it still works. I really am amazed that the thing is still watertight. The lighthead is nice and small too.

I barrowed a friends 10W DR, and I thought the cord was a little short. I had trouble reaching the switch at first, but I got used to it and "learned" how far back it was. It is very similar to the OMS light, although the battery is 12V. My OMS is 13.2V and the new ones are Li-ion (I think)

Another buddy had the 10W Salvo and I was impressed with how tight it could focus- during a day dive, I could see his spot beneath me. I didn't wear the Salvo light, so I have no comments about the fit, although the light head is bigger than the OMS.

As far as chargers go, I've never had a problem with the OMS chargers, but I ussualy use my MAHA-77plus when at home and the OMS charger when away. The OMS charger I have isn't too sophisticated- I don't think that it float charges- it simply relies on the battery to click cycle or trip the thermal cut off. It works though and will charge the battery overnight.

Maybe I'm some sort of gear freak, or Halcyon stuff and I get along really well. Maybe I'm just lucky. I don't know.

The chargers definetly aren't crap. I think that user error *might* account for some of the common issues that are discussed so frequently.

user error?

come on... maybe with regular consumers, but with the kind of divers who
would use Halcyon products?

i don't think i buy that. i don't know more anal people with their
equipment than technical divers

I don't think that technical divers are anything more than regular consumers. We are the targeted demographic.

I also doubt that I got the only good charger that came from Halcyon.

The inflators are a different story, though. Its well known that there is an issue with them, and Halcyon stopped producing them. I personally have not had a problem with mine, but I rinse mine with warm fresh water after every dive weekend. I truely believe that warm water makes a difference in dissolving salts and other crud that causes inflators to malfunction.

There are quite a bit of technical divers (cave or mixed gas) that don't care about their equipment. A weekend at Ginnie Springs will show many people that fit into this catagory.

There is a chance that I'm all wrong and have Halcyon's factory misfits that actually work, though. Who knows!? :wink:

PfcAJ:
The chargers definetly aren't crap. I think that user error *might* account for some of the common issues that are discussed so frequently.
Excuse me but I think I have enough intelligence to plug a battery up to a charger and let it sit over night. A moron could do that. Keep your snide comments to yourself. I was trying to help someone from going through the same pain I have.
Maybe you have a newer light than I do, regardless, my charger sucks.

From The Deco Stop
I had the same problem and it turned out that the charger just wasn't going all the way on the charge...could be your charger is shot...have you checked your battery pack with a meter?

I just can't get this thing to charge for the life of me, sent the whole light back to halcyon and they said I needed to learn how to charge the light, listened and repeated just what I needed to do....and nothing, they said I should send it back again, well, that means another three weeks of NO light. Took the battery pack in to a local battery dealer and they ran tests on the thing after a few days said the battery was only running at 70% capacity, Halcyon never told me that??!!!! So I am finally moving on to a MAha c-77 Plus.....any opinions on this set up?

I will sacrifice the HAlcyon charger, with an eight pound mallet.

hey told me to unplug it after it went to green and let cool(never got hot) for about an hour, then restart the whole process about 4-5 times, I had left the thing charging after the 4-5 plug -unplugged's for something like 3 days straight and it never went up more than .10 of a V

In all seriousness when I first plug in my light it goes to "green" in 15 minutes or less. What I've heard is: plug it in for that 15 minutes, let the light go to green, then unplug it all and wait about 30 minutes for it all to cool down. Then hook it all back up and you'll see the yellow light stay on for quite some time which normally means you get a nice full charge. When I follow this procedure I find that my light gets a nice long burn time for me, or at least is close to manufacturer specs.

have been having issues with my Halcyon 4.5 10W charger. It seems that it is extremely fussy with Temp, the yellow charging light goes on once it is plugged in and after a short period the green light goes on, I check the voltage in the Battery and I am only reading 13.01V. I was told from EE that I needed to( This all after I had sent it back to them ) "trick" the charger into rebooting by unplugging the battery and allowing it to cool. The battery doesn't feel warm to the touch which is fine, but how long does it take to cool, half hour, overnight? I was also told by EE that the battery should charge up to 14.9V I can't seem to get it over 13.01-13.02, Do any of you have any input on this?

I could keep going but I'll spare the bandwidth....enjoy your light.

I've dived with a few of the top canister lights. I'd vote for the Green Force lights, very rugged.

Jeff

Everyone has been very helpfull I appreciate the lengthy replys and explinations. The way it's looking right now I'm going to do some extensive research into the OMS and Dive Rite 10w HID lights but please don't stop sending your suggestions I'm reading everyones very carefully and taking them all into concideration.

Tim

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom