The best all around Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I figure since cave divers are probably the subject matter experts on dive lights if a few of you would mind sharing your opinion on the best all around dive light. I'm sure this isn't the first time a thread like this has been posted but I would like to make sure their isn't some kind of new fang dangled brand out their that just hit the market I might be missing out on. Thanks for everyones input I really appreciate the proffessionalism scubaboard's members have......

Tim

I'll put my vote in for the Salvo 21w HID light.

If it's not the best light, please don't tell me, since I already spent all that money on it.eyebrow

Actually, I've seen it side by side next to a few different lights , and I've never regretted the purchase. YMMV

(Note: I'm not a cave diver)

I really like Halcyon's 10w HID. Small, lightweight, 4 hour burntime, and its a very bright light.

It all depends on what your going to use it for. Cave divers typically own $300-$1500 cannister lights. I don't recommed an investment like that for someone doing an occasional night dive.

I've had a chance to look at the:

Halcyon
Salvo
Sartek
Dive Rite
GreenForce
UK HID

To me, the UK HID was nice, but not in the same league as the others.

You choose 10w, 18w, 21w (you don't need the 24w) based on your budget and needs for lighting. I've you've never been in the water with a canister light, trust me, the 10w light will seem like PLENTY.

For some specific reasons, I've chosen the GreenForce light. However I know many people who are happy with each of the other lights and use them in all kinds of conditions. Be forewarned, they are expensive, most are a bit fragile, they can be finicky sometimes too. But they are worth every dime in my opinion. I just wish they didn't require so MANY darn dimes!

The Salvo's are nice lights. I have a Halcyon and the charger is a POS (stay clear). Dive Rite has a 24watt coming soon from what I'm hearing.

A 10watt lights up a cave nice but is a little lacking in clear OW on a sunny day.

I'm looking to get me a new Salvo 21watt (dog needs surgery so the light is on hold for now, the 10watt will have to do a bit longer).

I have some nice video I've shot while cave diving using nothing but my 10watt HID and they came out nice.

PfcAJ:
I really like Halcyon's 10w HID. Small, lightweight, 4 hour burntime, and its a very bright light.

It all depends on what your going to use it for. Cave divers typically own $300-$1500 cannister lights. I don't recommed an investment like that for someone doing an occasional night dive.

I would like to add that I'm intrested in the cannister lights, but just a small one leaning around the $500.00 mark.....

The Dive Rite's have their issues too... Cord, switches... etc.

H2Andy:
i love my DIve RIte slim (10 w),...
i have two friends who've had bad experiences with the Halcyon. the word is
that they either work great or are a constant PITA.

Yep, My two cave diving buddy's have the Dive Rite slim line 10w and they always laugh at me at the end of the day when we are charging our lights and i have to sit beside mine for about an hour so I can keep unplugging it to get it to charge. Crap chargers for sure. I'd recommend staying away from Halcyon.

Halcyon Owner,
Jason

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom