The BBQ Pit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are 2 different towers that I know of at Lake Murray. There is the Nature Center. It’s a big stone tower that looks like something out of a King Arthur story. The other tower is near the spillway just north of Marietta Landing. It looks as though it is/was for a control valve. It’s a concrete structure and there is as an associated steel derrick just off shore from it. Word was that there was an old work platform with a rope that led down to it at around 80 feet. Four of Us TexDiveGuy ~ Richerso ~FrogLady ~ Timeliner decided to give it a shot on Sunday at about 10 a.m.
We actually had to rope up and do sort of a rapell down the rock ledge to the water since the lake level was low. We could have climbed down without the rope wearing no gear but just one slip and there would be a bad injury. We all looked like donkeys on ice skates ! There was a stiff wind and actually even small waves. It was a pretty brutal shore entry. We paired up, descended to the base of the tower and started down the rope. The water was 63F and with no noticeable thermocline. Things went dark at about 40ft. and then went to black shortly after that. It’s what I call freaky dark. It wasn’t night dive at CSSP dark but power failure in the storm cellar at night dark. John and I reached the lower structure at 63 feet. ( crash… I thought that was going to be at 80 feet)
It’s a big old steel frame structure and the expanded metal on top is beat up bad with holes punched in it as if a really heavy person bounced on it and broke through in lots of places. It’s jagged and mid evil and pretty scary looking. Alan described it later as looking like an old Bar-B-Que pit. We explored around the top of it and then dropped down on one side of the structure to its base at near 80 feet. Looking up was a maze of silt and flash light beams cutting through the haze. This is what an escaped convict must feel like while hiding in a marsh pond breathing through a reed and seeing the search lights of the prison guards on top.
Alan and Teresa must have made it down to the structure too because I could see 3 other lights sometimes. Usually I could only see John’s light and at times no lights at all. Following a steel beam on the structure I explored the base for a bit. While ascended to buddy up again I found I was blocked by jagged expanded metal on all sides. Alan was right it felt just like being in a Bar-B-Que pit. I was trapped inside of it and couldn’t see squat except the jagged metal grate above me. I had no idea how I got caught inside this giant crab trap of a thing but it freaked me bad at first. I took a few breaths of air, thought about it and decided this was a stupid place to die! I laughed and descended a few feet and swam out of the trap. John and I got back in sight of each other up and decided to make our way back up the rope.
We saw Alan but no Teresa. We found out later that while I was in the crab trap she was ensnarled in a tangle of monofilament line and attempting to cut her self free in the darkness at around 90 feet. ( we need her to write about that episode. :11: ) We all had to climb out and make our way back up the slippery rock ledge. Man I’m glad Alan brought that tow rope!!
Later that afternoon we did a blissful little dive from the Marietta Landing. Nothing exotic or dangerous just a nice swim. What a day ! :14:

What a great day....2 dives with Swampers,,,,now that is wonderful!!! Frank you did a wonderful job of describing our day at the BBQ pit dive and rappelling trek to Lake Murray. The last few feet of the rappel down the rock face was a slippery one for me in my clumsy drysuit and steel 130.... and Froglady made it look so easy! Vis at the first site was 1-4ft.,,, the second site was better at 10-12ft. I am looking forward to the next dive with you guys soon.

I think we should start a new PADI Specialty course -- "Rappelling Entry/Exit Techniques"

Timeliner:
My hands are actually sore today from that.

I have a bruise on one leg from the fun!

Cutting your way out of monofilament line at 90 feet. I think that would "pucker" me up a little.

D.

Daylonious:
Cutting your way out of monofilament line at 90 feet. I think that would "pucker" me up a little.

D.

Very common in lakes regulary fished,,,,just have to watch your way and remain calm in the event of an entanglment....remember as long as you are 'breathing' you can work your way out of most situations,,,,just keep focused.

texdiveguy:
Very common in lakes regulary fished,,,,just have to watch your way and remain calm in the event of an entanglment....remember as long as you are 'breathing' you can work your way out of most situations,,,,just keep focused.

to use your shears when you have a hook sticking in you! Using a knife will tug at the line and "set" the hook a bit deeper...... trot lines are common in a lot of lakes and put this tidbit in lessons learned :D

I am glad to hear that everyone had a nice time and came home in once piece.
Sometimes it takes a day or two to reflect back and think gee that was kind of hairy.

Diverite sells small z-knifes (encased razor blade) and they fit very well on most wrist computer units. I was caught up in monofilament during my instructor training course and that was no fun.

I have recovered materials that had wire cables attached to it. We were very careful when recovering the item to make sure we secured the wire cable first. Knifes and cutters usually do nothing for braided steel cable.

I see you guys were diving in black water good job on staying calm and working you way home.

Again, good experience thanks for sharing.

Dive safe, Andrew

I bought a pair of those "Sea Snips" - they can actually cut through a penny. I think you'd get a lot farther with those rather than a "regular" dive knife. Sawing away at a line (especially if you have a hook in you! geez..)..with a dive knife doesn't sound like any fun.

But those snips can pretty much go through anything...

D.

Back
Top Bottom