The Art of Tipping.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terri2chris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Art of Tipping.
I thought I would post this for those of you that are still on the fence of whether to tip or not to tip.
On our recent trip I was lucky enough to see the following exchange.
We were watching the dive boats drop off at the hotel pier.
As a lady stepped across to the pier, the boat shifted and she fell in the water(between the boat and pier) The boat capitan made sure she was OK, and left.
She swims around and comes up in the area where the steps are.
Her freinds rush over to make sure she is ok.
Same lady walks out to the end of the pier and calls the dive boat back,
and...TIPS!
What a lady,
I do not know her name but it happened at Hotel Cozumel and Resort .
I think it was on one of these days,May 12th/13th.. 2013

On a personal note, If I ever run into you Ma'am I want to buy you dinner:D

May be she just was following instructions of the appostle St.Paul: "Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head." (Romans 12:20) :wink:

The very fact that the OP is from Roswell makes this bizarre story seem even more alien :alien:. :amazed:

Wait the boat driver said "hey you ok lady?" and left before she was hauled out of the water?????? Seriously?

Wait the boat driver said "hey you ok lady?" and left before she was hauled out of the water?????? Seriously?

I did not catch the entire conversation.

All you got out of this was to criticize someone,,,Seriously?

The boat wasn't mentioned, but climbing from a panga onto the dock at Hotel Coz is challenging. I do make sure to take care of all boat business including tipping before attempting the climb. I'm surprised we don't see more splashes, or that I haven't fell in yet.
The very fact that the OP is from Roswell makes this bizarre story seem even more alien :alien:. :amazed:
There is a dive site right outside of town. I did it once, then loaded up my gear and left. Murrrrky...!!

Capture.jpg
I did not catch the entire conversation.

All you got out of this was to criticize someone,,,Seriously?
:lol:

How did I criticize anything? I just asked a QUESTION.

I read it as: lady falls in water, boat drives off, she climbs out up steps herself.

Seems pretty classless to me......boat should have pulled her aboard, made sure she was ok, then assisted in getting her back on shore 100% safe. THAT would deserve a tip. Driving off while she is in the water, what a bunch of bozos.

I read it as: lady falls in water, boat drives off, she climbs out up steps herself.

Seems pretty classless to me......boat should have pulled her aboard, made sure she was ok, then assisted in getting her back on shore 100% safe. THAT would deserve a tip. Driving off while she is in the water, what a bunch of bozos.

My first thought was "she didn't tip until after there was a problem?" Then I realized that I often get myself, my family, and all my stuff off the boat then hand the tip to the captain.

Depending on just where she was, it may have been safer for the boat not to be there and to let her get out of the water without pitching boats to smash her against the pier, etc. I'm not sure to what extent the boat "left". It doesn't take long at all for a boat to get out of hailing distance, so if she was able to call them back the captain may have just been out of the way, watching.

There are perfectly reasonable ways to interpret the described scenario such that any participant as having done everything right and ways to view it as having done everything wrong. Since it all worked out, I'll go with the former.

Well it isn't ALL I got out of the story, but as I read it, customer falls from boat/pier into water...boat captain sees her in the water and leaves with her still in the water and I guess starting a swim to where she could exit the water. The woman's situation was sufficiently unclear that her friends "rush over to make sure she is OK" as she gets to a place where she can exit the water. Meanwhile boat has left, but is close enough that it can be called back.

Maybe its just me, but I would have thought maybe he would hang a ladder over the side, or throw her a line or wait until she got out to be sure she was okay, or something. I would say more but who am I to judge? I wasn't there. Maybe too many things are missing from the information. I know nothing of the Hotel Coz pier setup.

The important issue is this; should she have tipped based on two dives or two dives and a swim? Is the tip the same for a swim as a dive? :stirpot:

For pete's sake.......geez........the pier at Hotel Cozumel is feet from the ladder to get back onto the pier/shore/beach.......it would take WAY more effort for this woman to try and climb back onto the boat!.......makes WAY more sense for the captain to move the boat out of the way so that she could swim about ten feet to get to where the ladder is..........I would hardly call the captain a "bozo".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom