The arduous task of regulator shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This last week I have subjected myself to major excedrin headaches in an attempt to learn enough about regulators to make a reasonably educated purchasing decision.

I think I have narrowed it down to a few, but I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify something for me.

I have read the reviews and descriptions on Rodale's web site and priced the ScubaPro MK16/S550 reg. at LP's site. The price/performance looks good to me, but the description in LP's write-up says it has 2 High Flow Ports (HFP) and 1 High Pressure port.

Rodale's says it has 1 HP port and 4 Low Pressure ports.

I thought that the first stages basically had High Pressure and Low Pressure ports.

What is a High Flow Port then?

Thanks to anyone that would be willing to clue me in.

Kirk

PhishSchticks once bubbled...
This last week I have subjected myself to major excedrin headaches in an attempt to learn enough about regulators to make a reasonably educated purchasing decision.

I think I have narrowed it down to a few, but I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify something for me.

I have read the reviews and descriptions on Rodale's web site and priced the ScubaPro MK16/S550 reg. at LP's site. The price/performance looks good to me, but the description in LP's write-up says it has 2 High Flow Ports (HFP) and 1 High Pressure port.

Rodale's says it has 1 HP port and 4 Low Pressure ports.

I thought that the first stages basically had High Pressure and Low Pressure ports.

What is a High Flow Port then?

Thanks to anyone that would be willing to clue me in.

Kirk

Straight from ScubaPro....

"HFP (High Flow Port)
The high flow ports on the MK16 first stage are two intermediate pressure outlets close to the diaphragm that deliver higher flow to the main second stage and octopus for better performance, especially at low tank pressure. On MK25 first stages, all 5 swivelling low pressure ports are High Flow Ports."

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the heads-up. I see that now.......DOH!

diverUp once bubbled...
Any time. So are you set on that setup?

All my regs are SP and I love em!

It seems to be a good setup for what I want to spend. Some good comments about SP are floating around the forum...reliability, and the ease of maintenance/obtaining parts.

The reviews on Rodale's web site are favorable.

After a couple of years of experience I will probably look at those regs in the $500 to $600 range. Right now though I need to keep the expenditures down as much as I can and still get something I can depend on.

As a newbie, I should be ok with this setup.

before you commit, i should bring to your attention that while there are many people who love scubapro regs, there are some who believe they are finnicky and high maintenance.

i would encourage you to take a look at the apeks line. most times they can be found cheaper than scubapro regs online.

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
before you commit, i should bring to your attention that while there are many people who love scubapro regs, there are some who believe they are finnicky and high maintenance.

i would encourage you to take a look at the apeks line. most times they can be found cheaper than scubapro regs online.

Thanks for the note. I will take another look at those again.

If you get a chance look at the abyss or abysmal regs. They use a reworked poseidon first stage, and a kirby morgan second stage, like the commercial divers use on the helmets.

When I purchased my regulators I researched with a price is no object perspective and decided on the abysmal set up. I am extremely happy with them and they are in line with scuba pro prices, much better than some of their models. I currently have 5 abysmal first stages in my dive box and love every one of them. I have used most regs and love the abysmal.

You won't be dissapointed.

DiverUp gave you a good description of SP's high flow definition. One thing that some other manufacturers do is make one of the LP ports a slightly higher diameter, which supposedly helps deliver higher flow. Personally, I think it's a bit of hype. Although I love my Apeks TX-100's, I've breathed off both the large and small LP ports at different times and never noticed any difference.

I've heard some good things about Abyssmal's regs, although I don't have any first hand experience with them, so I can comment on them. One thing that I would be concerned about however (and this applies to Posieden as well) is getting them serviced. If your LDS can service them (and do a good job), then there's no worry. If there isn't local service available, I'd factor this into your decision process.

Alan

agstreet once bubbled...
snip......One thing that I would be concerned about however (and this applies to Posieden as well) is getting them serviced. If your LDS can service them (and do a good job), then there's no worry. If there isn't local service available, I'd factor this into your decision process.

Alan

Service is one of the top issues for me. But it seems there are a good 5 or 6 regs at my price range that will do very well. Each have their little Pros and Cons.

So I think I will do the scientific thing. I'lll pin a pic of each of the regs up on the wall and throw some darts. The one with the greatest number of holes gets purchased.

Now how's that for decison making?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom