The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no- I think narrow minded is making judgements about someones class and status based upon what they choose to do to their bodies. Or assuming that your definition of attractive (ie untattooed) is the norm or the view of "most people"

OH and by the way, I have several tattoo's- one of which is nearing 15 years old and still looks great- I don't believe in judging other people based on money/status and I have apost-graduate education. I have worked in offices and have a professional job, so please do not make narrow-minded judgements aobut people based on the coloration they choose to apply to their skin

I was wrong. I was talking to my friend Mike Tyson ( the guy with a snake on his face) and it seems its perfectly normal to have visible tatoos

My other friend Allen Iversonson (a tatoo billboard) also pointed out to me that many refined persons such as he perfer to "keep it real" by decorating their bodies

Another friend said all the guys in Pelican Bay (California's highest security prison) have tattoos

I think I'm gonna run out and get some tear drops tattooed to my cheek

How could have I been so wrong

mofosaurus:
this is board is constantly saying its "family oriented"

I worry that some little kid will read your posts and think most people think tatoos are ok.

The truth is most people dont approve of visible tatoos and the kids tha read these posts should know it

Trying getting a job in an office with a tattoo on your neck

or better yet see what guys think of girls with a tattoo on their breast

this fad went thruogh LA 15 years ago and those same people are now paying to get them burned off

The problem is that when you remove the tattoo the scar remains

Just my two cents

So, a trend went through LA 15 years ago and now people are trying to reverse it? I'd say if anything lasts 15 minutes in LA,it's a triumph.

"Think about the children!" Yes, indeed. I fear they may read this board and decide that you can't do what you want without narrow-minded suburbanites trying to pigeonhole you into being a sheep. Mofo, sounds like you want us to go along with the "popular" notion about tattoos. My friend, doesn't that make you King of the Sheeple?

Try getting a job in an office...is that the highest state I should long for? No thanks, I'll take my two masters degrees and do something I enjoy. Sound okay with you, Milton. Here's your stapler, by the way. Don't forget the cover sheet on your TPS reports.

Let's see...what else did you say. Oh, that thing about girls and tattoos. Well, if she has a good personality, we shouldn't really worry about what she looks like, should we? Especially nude. Not sure the kind of girl you run with, but I know every girl I've ever dated waited until at least, oh, I don't know, the third or fourth date before we got that far. Yes, that's what we need in this world...more men fixated with a woman's looks rather than her mind.

I don't think anyone is talking about visible tattoos. Most of the tattoos described here are visible only to the owner, barring some freak de-clothing accident. Most tattoos are professionally done, and depending on placement, last 50 years or more without showing signs of fading.

A solution to the tattoo removal scar is...don't get it removed!

Finally, to all the little kiddies that are reading this board. Don't worry. Mofo is what we like to call an anachronism. Likes to hold outdated notions. Besides, if you're reading this board, you're probably old enough to dive. Hence, you're probably above the age of 12. So, try and remember back about 4 years ago...you know...when you were eight. You'll understand Mofo's logic.

Mofo, in regards to your last post, I see a consistency in your line of logic that I can only say is verging on racist and repugnant. Yes, you are narrowminded. Anyone that flames someone for a choice they made, and then attempts to back it up using generalizations, is the quintessence of narrowmindedness.

Unfortunately for Bug and the rest of the inked folks, I hope they close and/or delete this thread. I would hate for the kiddos to read it.

mofosaurus:
TB - So if someone doen't agree with you they're narrow minded?

You are a prime example of the comment I made earlier. The difference between those with ink and those without ink is that those with ink don't care that you don't have a tattoo.

Being narrow minded is sticking with this antiquated philosophy that you seem to be pontificating. It's the people like you that are the problem. There are plenty of those out there that care not how one looks, but how one performs. Why might someone with a tattoo on their hand have a problem getting a job? Because there are closed minded individuals like you out there that would rather inforce your own sense of morals on others. What's next, disallowing employment because someone engages in pre-marital sex? Values change, methods of expression change.

Thank god not everyone is like you. I have a job... an incredible job at that. I have long hair, I have ear rings, I have tattoos, I meet with customers wearing my sandals. Do they care? No. Does my bosses care? No. Why? Because they know my performance. They could care less how I look.

It's people like you that would rather hire some stiff because he's Mr. Green Acres Pretty boy, then someone less than 'traditional' that is the problem.

Go find your own thread.

some of you are taking this way toooooo personal

if you thought I was adressing any one personally I wasn't and apologise if you thought I was

I'm just talikng about visible tatoos as a subject

spectre if your leading a productive life I am genuinely happy for you

just because you have a tattoo doesn't make you scum. even if you have a visible tattoo doesn't make you low class automatically but it is a real red flag

now I have been attacked personally in this thread for expressing a view differing fromn the people with tattooos. Is that open minded? I don't think so

anybody can and should do what ever they want with their body but this fad will past

in fact we will all change (hopefully) as time goes by

what you think is cool now may not be what you think is cool in the future

and the trouble with tattoos is if you get them removed they leave a scar

cant you acknoledge that this is a bad thing?

I remember watching a movie "The Decline of Western Civilization" it was about all the LA punk bands of the '80's

the film's director Penelope Spheris was interviewing the members of X (one of the gretest punk bands of all time) John Doe ( the lead singer) was getting a tattoo but the lead guitarist, Billy Zoom (beyond cool) wasn't getting inked

when PS asked BZ why he wasn't getting a tattoo also he said it was just a fad and he didn't want to go along with it

was that wrong of him? No I don't think so.

now I've spelled out specifically why I don't think tattoos are a good idea but thats my perogative. If anybody wants to mark themselves up thats up to them. But not everyone thinks tattoos are cool and your just gonna have to accept that.

Mofo, you're first reply in this thread was an insult to the author of the thread. That's personal.

You called people with tattoos (without distinguishing visible or covered) low class. That's personal.

And now you want to recant, correct, and apply logic in retrospect. As has been quoted and re-quoted several times in this thread...the difference between the inked and the uninked is the inked don't have a problem with you not getting a tattoo.

What you did with this thread...hijacking it...is called "trolling". You go onto a forum and kick a hornet's nest to see what trouble you can stir up, without really caring what contribution you do or don't make. When the overwhelming majority called you on it, you finish off with a, "Well, all I meant to say was that I would never (insert action here), but if that's what you want to do, then I wish you all the luck in the world. But attacking me is just narrowminded."

Give me a break. A big one. Two ways you can do that. Lighten up and watch your mouth (or, fingers in this case), or find another forum that appreciates troublemakers. I'm sure you'd have a hoot at britneyspears.com or somesuch place.

Finally, remember this. At about the same time you decide to condemn someone for doing something is about the time a close loved one decides to partake in that activity. Karma. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Allright, everyone just chill the hell out. I happen to have a couple tats and think this has gone way beyond reasonable discussion.

I know I havent posted a million times like a lot of you, but this is seriously sidetracking the whole premise that brings us all here: diving. Period. That's it.

Get over it if you dont like those that have tattoos. Everyone that has them, ignore those who dont agree with your *personal* decision to have them; that is what makes it a personal decision. I would be willing to bet that a lot of you who are either pro or con for having tattoos would get along quite well if you werent put into a situation that put your personal beliefs into public scrutiny.

course that is just my own perspective....and like everything else, I encourage you to have your own opinion :nope:

Back
Top Bottom