The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendigo:
Allright, everyone just chill the hell out. I happen to have a couple tats and think this has gone way beyond reasonable discussion.

I know I havent posted a million times like a lot of you, but this is seriously sidetracking the whole premise that brings us all here: diving. Period. That's it.

Get over it if you dont like those that have tattoos. Everyone that has them, ignore those who dont agree with your *personal* decision to have them; that is what makes it a personal decision. I would be willing to bet that a lot of you who are either pro or con for having tattoos would get along quite well if you werent put into a situation that put your personal beliefs into public scrutiny.

course that is just my own perspective....and like everything else, I encourage you to have your own opinion :nope:

Kudos...chocolate chip or s'more...whichever you like. With that, I hope that this will die die die.

mofosaurus:
what you think is cool now may not be what you think is cool in the future

and the trouble with tattoos is if you get them removed they leave a scar

cant you acknoledge that this is a bad thing?

It's a fad perhaps... but a fad that has been around for thousands of years.

You are -definately- mixing things. Why on earth would I want to get my tats removed? If anyone gets one with the attitude of "it can get removed" has some more thinking to do on the subject.

There is a reason mine are my own designs, and don't include any obvious logos or symbols or anything else that would be an issue with the political or business changes that occur during a lifetime. But of course, that was something that was important in my decision; and to each their own.

I've had a few tattoos myself and like Jeff said, I didn't get them to express a view from that exact time or phase. Some of my tattoos have specific meanings, others are just designs I like. I've been thinking about getting another one... a final one but it's a bit more political so I've been holding off to see if I really want it on my arm for life. Perhaps I can have them removed, perhaps I will, thats something I never thought about when I got them and certainly not something you should consider if you get one... a tattoo is forever, so you get something you can handle for ever.

The technology exists with lasers to remove them.

Whether people wear them or not is a matter of personal choice. They have been around for at least 300 years of recorded history, when Capt. Cook discovered the Hawaiian islands, possibly longer. My history is a little hazy on them.

Like any modern issue, tolerance is the most appropriate general response to them, if tatoos are not appreciated by all.

The most impressive tatoo I have ever seen was on the inside forearm of a friend of mine, my first diving instructor. It was not conspicuous. It was of an anchor, with an eagle with outstreatched claws landing upon it, and a trident through the anchor. He asked me if I planned to get one. I told him no, because the Torah forbids it.

IndigoBlue:
Whether people wear them or not is a matter of personal choice. They have been around for at least 300 years of recorded history, when Capt. Cook discovered the Hawaiian islands, possibly longer. My history is a little hazy on them.

I told him no, because the Torah forbids it.

I think you just answered your own question to some extent...let's say for the sake of argument...more than 4000 years in terms of the description in the Torah (and the Pentateuch) to have a written prohibition. Also...the "Ice Man mummy" hunter that they found in the glacier and the "Bog Man" mummy both had tattoos.

Like many other body modification practices...this "fad" has been around since history began.

The most telling statement made in this thread was the one in regards to "class". In my mind, people with NO class, are the ones who make their determintions of others "position in the social hierarchy...yuck" based on appearances. That is wrong on so many levels.

Personally, I don't have any, my choice but...I couldn't care less if anyone else decides to do it, it's your life and your body. Now...forking your tongue...well... :D

bwerb:
I think you just answered your own question to some extent...let's say for the sake of argument...more than 4000 years in terms of the description in the Torah (and the Pentateuch) to have a written prohibition. Also...the "Ice Man mummy" hunter that they found in the glacier and the "Bog Man" mummy both had tattoos.

Like many other body modification practices...this "fad" has been around since history began.

The most telling statement made in this thread was the one in regards to "class". In my mind, people with NO class, are the ones who make their determintions of others "position in the social hierarchy...yuck" based on appearances. That is wrong on so many levels.

Personally, I don't have any, my choice but...I couldn't care less if anyone else decides to do it, it's your life and your body. Now...forking your tongue...well... :D

If you view the Torah as a list of proscriptions indicative of forbidden Egyptian practices of those times, and if you date the Exodus to the approximate time of the Trojan war, then you would get 1250 + 2004 = 3254 years. However this is unrecorded history. The ice mummy and the bog mummy were also unrecorded history. Capt. James Cook in Hawaii is certainly recorded history, of 250 years ago.

IndigoBlue:
If you view the Torah as a list of proscriptions indicative of forbidden Egyptian practices of those times, and if you date the Exodus to the approximate time of the Trojan war, then you would get 1250 + 2004 = 3254 years. However this is unrecorded history. The ice mummy and the bog mummy were also unrecorded history. Capt. James Cook in Hawaii is certainly recorded history, of 250 years ago.

Well spoken...but...I don't see how you can dismiss the Torah as "unrecorded history"...we have extant scrolls from the caves of the Quemeron (sp.) community dating to the first century...which gives us a "recorded" historical record of...oh...two thousand years. Also...the recorded Egyptian history indicates tattoos in numerous places as well. Good fun though. :D

I have often thought about getting a tattoo of a Sea Turtle somewhere on my body but I can't decide where to put it.

Is there any women out there with tattoos that would share with me the location of their work.

Please tell me the reasons you like the location and any problems you may have had with covering it up on those occasions when it wasn't appropriate to view.

Thanks Julie

Hi! I'm not a woman, but I am tattooed (sp?) and I can promise you that you'll want to be able to show it to people once you get it. I don't know how comfotable you are with whipping out various parts of your body but the lower back is kinda safe, but still sexy too (to me)... and it doesn't really hang out at work or funerals.

Back
Top Bottom