The $500 question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with borrowing things but you need to make sure it anything happens that you can afford to replace it with new same or better quality gear.

A "nice" reg set doesn't need to cost $500 either, right now you can get a mk17/S600 for around $350 and all you would need is a pressure gauge and those run $60-100 for a good brass and glass version. Ebay and the classifieds can be a great help too.

Scuba store. Online Scuba gear and Scuba equipment shop. for scubapro cheap or cave adventurers/dive right in scuba/northeast scuba supply for just about everything else on the cheap.

I'll offer a second endorsement of Craigslist. It's definitely a "buyer beware" situation, but you can often find some great deals on there. We just got a console with SPG, depth gage, and compass for $30 from a Craigslist seller. As I recall, he was selling two regulator sets for $50 each, which included primary, secondary, yoke, and LPI hose.

What you might also consider with borrowing a reg set is picking up your own mouthpiece, and switching out the owner's for your own before using. They're not that expensive, and that can help alleviate any concerns the owner might have of sharing such a personal device.

If one of my aquaintances asked to borrow the regs which I am now using I would have to say NO. I would let them use my old set if they wanted to get them inspected. Go to LeisurePro's website. They've got some great prices on regs. You don't need to pay $500 for a reg set.

well kevin,
I have no problem loaning out my extra gear to my friends, especially if i know they are saving up to buy there own crap. "because i know it is temporary." I have 7 sets of regs, 6 tanks and 5 BC's for a 2.5 diver family. There is almost always an extra set of gear laying around and if it is not being used it is not doing anyone any good now is it. My only requirement is that they clean it out real good "better than if it were there own" and return it after each dive trip. I have been loaning my friend Matt gear on a bi-weekly basis for 5 months. He started out borrowing everything (including the fins and mask), but now he is just borrowing a tank and regs.

I second, the notion for crags list and garage sales, that is where allot of my gear came from. don't be anxious to get something on crags list there is allot of non working crap on there that will have a $160 repair bill. But there is also a few true finds and killer deals just waiting to be snatched up, so check it regularly. Also try ebay!

I like the idea of buying new gear on line, and agree you certainly don't need to spend $500 for a reg/octo - at an LDS, sure.

Be careful with used stuff on line, in the papers and through Craigs List - most of the time you will be OK, but you are unlikey to have return privledges or the opportunity to take eq to be ckecked by a competent professional before the sale.

Not a bargan if the stuff does not work, etc. - or you got the bottom of the line model thinking it was otherwise - This is life support eq. so get it checked before use.

A good on line retailer will also be able to help guide you in your selections - what you need to do is research on various brands so you know what features to look for (this board is great for that), talk to experienced divers, and get an idea about various gear.

I'd also give your LDS a chance to match - at least come close - to on line prices - some will, some will not.

Another option to save some money:
Don't overlook when an LDS puts their rental gear up for sale - often they turn this equipment every 6 - 24 months; I'm diving an Atomic that was a former rental and could not be more pleased; plus I saved a ton of $$$$; they even threw in a new mouthpiece for free : )

Just do your homework so you can recognise a deal.

I don't have any problem with lending out my dive gears to those who I trust that would take care of my gears instead of trashing them.

I am a newly certified diver and I have a little issue. I own mask, fins, snorkle, gloves, hood, wetsuit, drysuit (got it at a great price from a friend) boots. The only things I dont own are, well the most important. With that said I can not afford to rent equipment every weekend and I cant afford to buy new or used equipment. The stuff I do have was purchased over a 6 month period and it wasnt the expensive stuff. So heres the $500 question......(I chose 500 because a nice reg set up would run me about that)

If I have friends and or family members that have their own reg, bc, weights, tanks, all the stuff I need is it inappropriate to ask if I can borrow it to dive? Mind you they are not using it at this time nor do they have the time to dive every weekend. I have my own feeling and I wanted to get input from some of you out there that own your own gear. Has this ever happened to you? Do you think this is rude? Give it to me straight!

I do not think this is rude at all. I am from Allentown originally, and if you are ever near Georgia and you need a regulator or BC then email me, and you can gladly borrow one of mine. Divers take care of divers.

I am a newly certified diver and I have a little issue. I own mask, fins, snorkle, gloves, hood, wetsuit, drysuit (got it at a great price from a friend) boots. The only things I dont own are, well the most important. With that said I can not afford to rent equipment every weekend and I cant afford to buy new or used equipment. The stuff I do have was purchased over a 6 month period and it wasnt the expensive stuff. So heres the $500 question......(I chose 500 because a nice reg set up would run me about that)

If I have friends and or family members that have their own reg, bc, weights, tanks, all the stuff I need is it inappropriate to ask if I can borrow it to dive? Mind you they are not using it at this time nor do they have the time to dive every weekend. I have my own feeling and I wanted to get input from some of you out there that own your own gear. Has this ever happened to you? Do you think this is rude? Give it to me straight!

WHere is easton pa. I'd have no trouble letting you check out some stuff or diving with you if you were closer. a dozen tanks, 6 regs, 5 bc's, 5 sets of fins, and a whole lotta other stuff and I'm the only diver in the house.

I have a complete set of backup regs and computer, guages that I let new divers use when we do local dives. I have nevet let anyone use them on extended trips though. I know most of the new divers are very confused when it comes to buying dive gear, and funds are low after paying for certification. I also have backup bc and wetsuits if they are about the same size as me. There are a lot of new divers that never continues on with diving because of the expense of the gear. If I can get them hooked on diving without a lot of extra expense, there is a good chance that they will continue on, and after trying several different gear configurations they will have a better idea of what they would like to buy.

I don't loan anything I can't afford to replace.
I don't borrow anything I can't afford to replace.

That has always been my policy with money. If you need it and I can spare it, I'll give it to you. If you give it back, great! If not, we are still friends. That applies to gear as well. I have loaned out fins, a wet suit, and other accessories. But I am not willing to lend my only set of regs to friends, I have advised them to rent. My feeling is similar. I would be very upset if they were lost or damaged, and quite honestly the safest thing would be for the friend to have them serviced after borrowing them... which is at least as much money as renting them in the first place.

All things considered, there is too much to lose from lending out my only set of regs, and a friend would understand. That being said, I will be learning how to service my own regs, and in the future when I can inspect and service my own regs, I could see myself lending out a spare set.

JM2C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom