The $500 question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a newly certified diver and I have a little issue. I own mask, fins, snorkle, gloves, hood, wetsuit, drysuit (got it at a great price from a friend) boots. The only things I dont own are, well the most important. With that said I can not afford to rent equipment every weekend and I cant afford to buy new or used equipment. The stuff I do have was purchased over a 6 month period and it wasnt the expensive stuff. So heres the $500 question......(I chose 500 because a nice reg set up would run me about that)

If I have friends and or family members that have their own reg, bc, weights, tanks, all the stuff I need is it inappropriate to ask if I can borrow it to dive? Mind you they are not using it at this time nor do they have the time to dive every weekend. I have my own feeling and I wanted to get input from some of you out there that own your own gear. Has this ever happened to you? Do you think this is rude? Give it to me straight!

Just be straight up with them as you have been with us and ask.

All they can say is, "No."

I was younge once, a couple of thousand years ago, and remember some very tight budgets.

If you were my friend, and a certified diver, I'd loan you a reg set.

the K

Concur. Ask. All they can really say is No. Offer to pay for the maintenance on the reg set.. heck.. they may even long-term loan it to you....

no problem asking, worst case they say no

they could always rent it to you at a reduced rate if they don't want to freely lend

An occasional loan is one thing, but it sounds like you want to use their stuff every weekend. Suggest you sweeten the pot by offering something in exchange.
"If I can use your gear every weekend, I'll water your plants daily - or . . . " whatever
But be prepared to gracefully accept a "no". Some folks buy their own regs specifically so they don't have to breathe off a mouthpiece that others have slobbered on.

Concur. Ask. All they can really say is No. Offer to pay for the maintenance on the reg set.. heck.. they may even long-term loan it to you....

I think offering to pay for the service on both the reg and the BCD is a great idea.

I think it all depends upon jhow much you are using it. If you were my relative and wanted to borrow my stuff occasionally, I would not hesitate to say yes, and I would be even happier if you offered to take care of the service fees. It is a win/win situation if you do.

On the other hand, if you are diving regularly with the gear and I'm not, I might begin to feel a little funny about my owning and paying for something that is really more yours than mine.

Let me clarify and say I would not be asking every weekend as I dont have the time either. I would want to borrow it on the occasional weekend where they are not around and I have time. I was also thinking of buying my own reg set up and maybe just borrowing the rest.

Keep those thoughts comming!

.. I would want to borrow it on the occasional weekend .... I was also thinking of buying my own reg set up and maybe just borrowing the rest.

Keep those thoughts comming!

I don't loan anything I can't afford to replace.
I don't borrow anything I can't afford to replace.

If you borrow it, make sure you clearly convey that if it is lost, damaged or stolen, exactly how and what you plan to do about it.

As a side note:
Keep an eye out on Craigs list, yard sales and your local papers for used gear for sale. My brother bought a complete setup at a yard sale for $100.00. The owner had so many ear problems he just gave it up after 5 dives on the gear.

If I need it a couple of times and no more, borrow it.
If I need it more than that, I need to own it.

Borrowing tanks occasionally isn't much of a problem, especially if they have a number of them. Most of us gear collectors the to accumulate them.

Borrowing a reg and bc? Hmmm, I'm a bit stingey about that. Maybe once or twice til you figure out what you want to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom