The 2002 Bonaire Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to make a disclaimer right now that I haven't played beach volleyball in....a very long time.

And can anyone tell me if there is anything particularly special about a night dive at Klein (besides that night dives are all special by nature). I'm having a bad day at work and need something to look forward to.

Sandy

Diving Klein Bonaire, the island just off the West coast of Bonaire, is very similar to the dives you'll do on the main island. The differences are that the boat will usually anchor in the shallower (~30 ft.) areas so all you have to do is head over the coral wall and the best part: NO PEOPLE! Since you can only get to Klein by boat most people do night dives at the pier. It is also the place where we saw the best sea horses. Night diving the beach at the hotel will also be very good (for those that have any energy left!). You will find that most of the dive sites at Bonaire offer similar diving (except the wreck of course). The boat is great for taking you to new areas. The beach is only good the first hundred times or so. :^)

Denton

P.S. Sandy, sorry to hear you had a bad day at work. My little brother is a pilot for U.S. Air. Talk about bad days. Did you by any chance see the trunk fish in the Grouper photo? Any ideas what type he is?

Your caption hit it pretty much on the spot. (ha ha :D) It is actually called a Spotted Trunkfish. I've never seen one of that variety before. I will be on the look-out for them in Bonaire!

Luckily I remember exactly where he is!

Denton

Hi Gang,

I just had a stranger take our picture tonight for the profile so you can get a look at us prior to meeting us. This was just before our dive tonight. You will have to trust me that the Space Needle is behind us. I asked the stranger to try to fit it in, but I guess it was a no-go.

See you all soon. Must go now and wash out the salt from my hair.

By the way, the dive was fabulous! Great visibility for a 95 degree day. Water temp was about 53 degrees. Beautiful cathedral-like pilings covered in anemones.

-becky

Becky:
Fantastic picture! Good timing. Now we can find you all in Jamaica. Also Raphael, and Beverly are on your flights.
T shirts are going out next week. So if you wear them on travel day, that will help too.
30 more days!

I am NOT looking forward to this trip. If you believe that statement I have some property I'd like to sell you.. hehehe

I've got a count down on my wall at the office... I'm playing "Caribbean" style music... I bought more film.... nah I'm NOT looking forward to the trip at all :wink:

Hi all,

A bit late to the party but my wife, Kim and I (Kev), have been enjoying the Hawaiian islands since August 1st... Had to get some diving in prior to Bonaire!

Natasha please put Kim and I down for volleyball on Tuesday night, we're not very good but should be fun! :jump:

Bit about us, we spent part of our honeymoon :kissy: getting PADI certified in 1/2001 (St. Lucia), got hooked and finished AOW 8/2001 (Curacao) and will be finishing our Master rating with the Rescue course while in Bonaire. I'm 44 and Kim is 34. We are from Massachusetts but are only warm water divers (yes, wimps). Thus far have dove Grand Cayman, Curacao, Dominican Republic, St John, Virgin Gorda, St Lucia, Maui, and Kauai. Found the scuba board and hope to join a number of future trips, making new friends.

Kim is also training for a marathon in DC for October so figure she and Sandy can possibly enjoy a run or two while I sleep ;-)...

Still working on Hawaiian time...

Kev

Hmm, a little bit of bad news from the Chicago area. Natasha twisted my arm SO hard to get me to go on this trip that it broke! Ok, actually I broke it ice skating (that ice is hard!). Three small fractures on the end of my left radius.
The good news is that it won't stop me from going! The Doc agreed to cut this useless non-water proof cast off next week and put on the new-improved waterproof Gore-Tex (tm) cast that I just ordered off of the internet. Woohoo! Now if Natasha can sweet talk Steve into letting me in the water I'm set.
Any comments on one armed diving? I'm already trying on gear and practicing. I'm also thinking of ways to make the cast more useful like bolting on a dive light and a bottle opener. ;^) That way we won't have to wreck another chair in the airport, right Dave?
By the way, it's a shorty cast with full use of the elbow and four fingers. Getting on the boat might be tough so I might be stuck shore diving. It also looks like the camera gear stays home :^(
Well I hope everybody is having better luck preparing for this trip than me.

See you all soon,
Denton

Denton once bubbled...
Hmm, a little bit of bad news from the Chicago area. Natasha twisted my arm SO hard to get me to go on this trip that it broke! Ok, actually I broke it ice skating (that ice is hard!). Three small fractures on the end of my left radius.
The good news is that it won't stop me from going! The Doc agreed to cut this useless non-water proof cast off next week and put on the new-improved waterproof Gore-Tex (tm) cast that I just ordered off of the internet. Woohoo! Now if Natasha can sweet talk Steve into letting me in the water I'm set.

Glad to know you're still coming - despite the silly move of getting the fractures!

17 days and counting down to a trip to paradise

Back
Top Bottom