The $200 Orbitz package discount is working again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with Don. I did the CC coverage too. Then I though about how hard I had to work to get the specifics on the insurance and wondered how hard it would be to get a loss covered. Then I read the horror stories on here and elsewhere. I also moved from the 'fancy' rentals of newish cars to the used car rental market. AC and all, but decent stuff. Best deal I had was from the same people Don refers to. App it may have been so cheap, because they werent paying insurance. Rented from Isis too. Margarita was just as wonderful as described. I got hooked up with 'rooster's rentals' for the wife last time through a friend for an automatic. All went well. Anyone heard of them before?

I think that is true of many cards, but also means that you would have to settle any damages yourself - then apply for reimbursement later with the paperwork in Spanish, right? Not going to be "leaving the country with as little hassle as possible."

I wonder what the limits are? Liability is mandatory isn't it? I hate renting cards with all the forms in Spanish.

Nothing is mandatory, accept that they get the credit card #, and the $21 airport fee.

I don't know what the insurance cost is either, I refuse it before they get that far. Getting the insurance might be a really good deal. I don't know.

Its a small island that you usually are driving under 35 mph on, and you are driving on the right side of the road.

On Grand Cayman I drove on the left side of the road with these roundabouts that you enter and have no idea how you are suppose to get out of on the correct side of the road. Every time I turned I used my turn signal, but on this car its not the turn signal, its the windshield wipers. They got the turn signal on the right side of the wheel. every time I turned I turned the windshield wipers on. My wife would yell at me "what the hell are you doing. You got the windshield wipers on and your on the wrong side of the road" "you want to drive! I figured it all out on the last day of the trip. When I drove home from the airport in the US I was all screwed up after 2 weeks of driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't find Coz difficult to drive on and the chances of a accident are slim.

Oh Gawd! :eek: Back in the days, I rented cars without insurance on all three USVIs, one of the Bahamas, a week on Ireland, driving on the left, and I wasn't always sober in those days. Amazing what I got away with. For Ireland, I did make three stickers for either side of the windshield and on the speedometer: "Stay Left!"

Now, with Hertz and other US companies, you can check on limits thru their headquarters stateside maybe.

While I would agree with you that driving isnt hard, however, I have heard the stories of accidents that were not the driver's fault having the 'outsider rule' applied. You ain't from here, so it is your fault. And the definition of mandatory is open to new and interesting definitions at times.
As a side note, I did the driving on the left in Antigua. It helped to have two people with you to yell LEFT LEFT when you slide right.....

Now, with Hertz and other US companies, you can check on limits thru their headquarters stateside maybe.

I wonder if that is true. I remember like alot of hertz stuff didnt carry to MX when I was first looking. I wonder how much the Hertz rules carry over or how independant those guys are?

I wonder if that is true. I remember like alot of hertz stuff didnt carry to MX when I was first looking. I wonder how much the Hertz rules carry over or how independant those guys are?
Well, you can set up a Cozumel rental on Hertz.com and get some info there. No info on what LDW would cost? All I can find is "Please inquire at the counter for details on Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)..."

Extra insurance fees is a money making area for them and I bet their agents rake in some nice commissions for selling coverage. If LDW was only $10/day, that's an annual rate of $3650, but I have no idea what it costs? Now they are not able to check your driving record back in the states, but there's a lot of room there for flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised to see a disclaimer exempting coverage if you'd had a beer either, if I could read Spanish; just don't - save the ethanol for when not driving! If you don't take it tho, and the car gets totaled - one might be liable for paying for the car in full before leaving Mexico, then file for reimbursement from CC Ins back in the states. With some companies, even if you do take the CDW, you still pay 10% of the loss; at least Hertz seems to be one that offers Full coverage: Cancun car rental tips if that is correct?
Now, Orbitz has coverage that they'll sell you, but I think it works the same. Pay now, claim later.​
Liability coverage is included on a Hertz rental: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rese...entalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=THIRDPARTY&EOAG=CZMT50 "Third Party Liability coverage is provided for all rentals, up to USD 35,000.00 per accident." Not much, huh? I carry many times that at home even tho I am not at risk of being locked up until I pay. "Additional coverage is available by purchasing the optional ALI (Additional Liability Coverage) at the time of rental. The cost for ALI is USD 13.00 per day, and increases the total coverage to USD 450,000.00."

I don't think theft and vandalism are covered by CC Ins either: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rese...plates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=TP&EOAG=CZMT50 "Theft Protection - TP - is an optional service which, if accepted, reduces the renter's financial responsibility for loss of, or damage to the Hertz vehicle due to theft, attempted theft, or vandelism. (sic) The fee for Theft Protection is USD 7.00 per day for all vehicle types." And all it really promises is to reduce responsibility?!

It's all kinda scary to me. Even with my Easyway rentals at PDC, I am not sure what I bought? I pay more for the combined insurance than the car rental, but really I only hope I am well covered. Makes that Ado bus look more promising, but some things you can't do by bus - and of course Cozumel refuses to have bus service.

You can't prevent all risks of course, but I try to minimize. :idk:

We have always decided to be cautious and either buy the insurance or rent where insurance was included. My husband did have an accident, it was his fault. He injured a local(broken collarbone)and badly damaged his motorcycle. Even though we paid for the rental with American Express and had some sort of coverage with them, we were very happy that the Mexican insurance we had covered all but a small portion of the damages. I think we payed out less than $45. cant quite remember. The amount we payed was small in comparison to the hassle it would have been to collect on the insurance offed by our credit card company. We did not have to pay for damages in anticipation of a refund back in the states. Worth every penny.

But then, I also like a private room package, no snoring competition, private bathroom. These married folks don't. For them, taking $200 off of a room is only $100 each - unless they do one person air & hotel, the other air & car, $200 off each.

Air + car is not a option.

air + hotel, air + car, air + hotel + car are the three options that you have.

I find the air tends to have its best price 2 or 3 months prior to departure. The hotels tend to have their best price 2 or 3 weeks prior to departure. You kinda have to pick one or the other. If you can get the air at a good price without using the discount, you can really get a good deal on the hotel 2 or 3 weeks before you go, and add the $200 off to that already fantastic price.

ronG was lucky to find a good price on both air, and hotel at the same time, that deal probably doesn't exist anymore.

Just checked and hotel and car option does work with the discount code. I priced a March 5th-March 12th trip hotel and car staying at Casa Mexicana with a Hertz car. It was $701 and with the discount code $501 for a single person. Thats a great deal for Carnival week.
I am in Cozumel that week but staying with friends. Just wanted to make sure the correct information was posted.

Judy, when we rent from someone who has CDW built in, I think there is still a 10% deductible, like with Isis...?

And I think a small amount of Liability comes with the car rental, which is fine as long as it's a cheap wreck.

:confused: You contradicted yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom