That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good on you. And what if the doctor said that you had an issue that was a little questionable and he wasn't willing to sign that note again. Are you ready to stop diving?
Good question. I may find out at my next Annual Physical what I'll do. :(

I don't think you are going to see widespread use of a note from your doctor saying it is ok for you to dive. Then when you die your relatives will sue the doctor. I'm pretty sure that if everyone now diving had to get a doctor to say they were in good health for it, the dive business would be in worse shape than it is. I know my health and I don't think I'm so much worse off than others my age. And lots of those I dive with are 10 years or more older than me.

A doctor's note would only say he knows of no contraindications to diving. As I understand it, that's more limited than saying "it is okay to dive."

Coincidentally, I just had my annual physical yesterday. No so coincidentally, really, as I had this thread in the back of my mind.

A doctor's note would only say he knows of no contraindications to diving. As I understand it, that's more limited than saying "it is okay to dive."
A diver on a LOB trip we once did had terminal cancer with a 6 month expectancy. They felt well enough to do about 1 dive a day. Most days. Other than that they rested and chatted with the other divers.

I wonder what questions the dive op asked?

When I discuss the results of my annual physical with my doctor, one of the items of discussion is "Do you see any reason why I should be concerned about scuba diving or skydiving?" After some discussion of the issues surrounding the activities, his answer has always been "No". That is the answer that I put in each of the boxes on the medical questionnaire. I believe that honesty is the best policy. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
This is a reasonable way to keep lawsuits away from dive ops and doctors and feel good yourself about any medical risks you may have diving. Seems simple. Well, I GUESS if you had a heart attack and survived you could always say your doctor said diving was OK. There's always a twist, no? Thus the thread title of "pesky".

Good on you. And what if the doctor said that you had an issue that was a little questionable and he wasn't willing to sign that note again. Are you ready to stop diving?
I too have a copy I made years ago with my doctor's signature on "no medical conditions incompatible, etc." I had him fill it out to bring with me to any charters. I do believe one did require it, but that's all. If I developed a condition that I felt would cause diving to be too risky I would ask him if it was a good idea to sign another form. He has been my doctor 12 years and knows I dive, so I would figure he'd tell me if I shouldn't anymore--with or without a form.

Some instructors have suggested that the medical release makes them better prepared to help their students in case of a problem. That's great.

For any class after OW, those students are also certified divers, and there's an expectation that they should be able to assist the instructor if they have a problem -- they are buddies to the instructor, right?. Why wouldn't an instructor want their students to be better prepared to help them in case of a problem?

This is exactly the question of trust being a two-way-street that I raised earlier.

I've participated in other recreational activities where there were no releases, no medical forms...but it was the cultural norm in some groups for people to voluntarily notify the rest of group if they had a condition (diabetes, bee-sting allergy, for example) that could be a problem. Good expedition leaders encouraged that and made it easier to share that info in confidence, without formal written statements or medical releases.
There's some logic here. The instructor should know he/she is fit to dive for their own sake. It's not really about how easy or hard it would be for the certified buddy to help. Besides, many people are not Rescue certified and don't know CPR.
And instructors of OW courses need to know they are fit because as you said, the students aren't even certified yet, so it's really a Solo dive.

I too have a copy I made years ago with my doctor's signature on "no medical conditions incompatible, etc." I had him fill it out to bring with me to any charters. I do believe one did require it, but that's all. If I developed a condition that I felt would cause diving to be too risky I would ask him if it was a good idea to sign another form. He has been my doctor 12 years and knows I dive, so I would figure he'd tell me if I shouldn't anymore--with or without a form.
You are confusing the risk of diving with the risk of liability. If you develop something that the doctor believes COULD be a problem and you still want to take that risk the doctor is not going to sign that form.

You do know that the signature on page 2 of the RSTC form is only valid for 12 months?

You are confusing the risk of diving with the risk of liability. If you develop something that the doctor believes COULD be a problem and you still want to take that risk the doctor is not going to sign that form.
Yes. Guess I figure if it's a big enough risk either for his liability or my well being I probably wouldn't want to take the risk anyway. But good point.

Back
Top Bottom