That monthly thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find someone you trust on the boat, and just ask them to ive you the heads up if any thing should rear it's head ....

This happened to me recently in Cozumel.....those "Insteads" which are diaphram-like cups that hold back your flow, were a godsend. I tend to go pretty heavily, a tampon would not have allowed me to go out on a two tank dive without a mess.

It's all in your comfort level though, you need to be pretty comfortable with yourself to insert those as well. Removal would be too messy for a boat head, wait until you get somewhere on land where you have more room and a sink to clean up. You cannot flush the Insteads, either.

I've been there..and here are a few practical tips.

Dark colors are your friend. While your flow may cease all together while you are underwater, it will most certainly start again when you surface - and any leakage will mix with the water from your swim suit and wet suit. So, if you are going to be sitting and you are unable to tend to business between dives, make sure you sit on a towel (again make sure it is a dark towel) so that you won't leak on the invariably white boat seats.

I made the mistake of omitting the towel one time and I stood up to switch my tanks and there was a lovely pink puddle. If you follow the advice of the people on the board, you should have no problem. This is a natural thing and we all deal with it one way or another.

Good luck and happy diving.

--Sioux

Thanks all for the replies...the tips and information offered has been most helpful.

As luck would have it, it stopped on the day of the dive. Yay!!!!! :D I was so happy about that cause I was thinking that I would have to skip out that dive since I was not comfortable with tampons.

I'm still not comfortable, and I did try a smaller size. Now I have two brand new boxes of them that I'll not likely touch ever again.

I will investigate other options such as the cup thing that was mentioned and so on. I don't know how I will eventually solve the problem, but really, truth be told, I'm so irked by the fact that I even have to deal with this problem at all!!!! :light:

Never mind. I just had to rant and rave a bit. I hate this problem so badly. Why do we have to deal with it??????? Menopause cannot possibly come soon enough for me at all. I'm pratically counting down the years for it!!!

Anyway, thanks all!!!!!!!!!!

crazyTomato:
I'm still not comfortable, and I did try a smaller size. Now I have two brand new boxes of them that I'll not likely touch ever again.

Anyway, thanks all!!!!!!!!!!

If you plan to continue to dive, and do any sort of dive travel, trust me you will need them again!

Good luck!

Yep, menopause is so much fun. I keep telling my wife "It's not a hot flash, it's a tropical vacation"

So far she hasn't killed me...

Good luck managing your problem. But the end of this one brings with it new ones to manage.

crazyTomato:

Keep them under the sink for company. I had some and they slowly disappeared over time. Mostly my son's friends that are of the female persuasion and my lil sis, they still haven't got it down yet as to when it is going to start. Anyway, they have come in handy.

Hi there,
I'm also not a tampoon user before i started to dive.
I swim using pad before, fully clothed because it was one of the drill to become a member of something. That day, I swim, I rode the boat, etc, everything connected with wet activity. But for me, the flow stopped when I was in water so all I got is the heavy and wet pad, it didn't help me.

When I started to dive, I approached my more experience female diver friend, and she suggested me to use tampoon. I tried to use it, first few times it was absolutely uncomfortable but then I realized that if you put it wrong, it would be uncomfortable but if you do it right, you hardly feel anything at all. I tried with the ones with applicator (which is supposely easier) but I failed, then I tried the ones without (look like bullets) and it's better.

I only use it when diving, and everytime I feel like I'm new user again, but the problem is I love diving too much I have no other choice, lucky so far I've been able to pray hard so I don't have it during my longer dive trip.

For pills, I also suggest you not to use them. Because if affects hormone, there are few side effects and too much consumption is not good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom