thanks to the scubateer crew, and passanger i made it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following your advice, Jax and DandyDon, I searched for "spare air" (with quotes), and had the results display as posts, and not as threads.

I went through the first 6 or 7 pages of results, and found mostly snarky comments about it. It seems that putting thought into posts is too much effort for some, and that it is preferred to take the easy route with a quick, low content jab.

So, ignoring the circle-jerks and drawing my own conclusions here, I see a huge disadvantage of Spare Air being that you're probably not going to be able to complete your entire safety stop, if at all (thanks, Captain Obvious! :). Have a deco obligation? Even worse. A pony bottle would be the obvious welcome choice here, assuming the air supply everyone was taught to use - their buddy's - was unattainable for whatever reason.

What I personally think a Spare Air would be most useful for is making your way to your dive buddy if they've managed to get away from you. Anyone who doesn't have the luxury of having a long term dive buddy to practice with and feel comfortable with (i.e. anyone who must use instabuddies often) is probably going to find themselves farther away from their buddy than they should be at some point in their diving career. This can happen for any of a number of reasons, though there are few reasons I can think of why it should.

I would prefer to use something like 3 cu ft of spare air to get to my buddy's supply so that we can ascend and complete a safety stop, rather than using it for self rescue. In the event of using it for self rescue: 1. I would be leaving my buddy alone, and 2. not be able to complete a safety stop. Neither are desirable situations of course.

The only dilemma I see there is the possibility of running out of the spare air before making it to the buddy, and now having to CESA with no extra air (other than that which may expand in your lungs and in your tank as you ascend). I guess (for me) it would come down to making the decision to go for the buddy's air supply, or to surface, with the buddy's supply being the preferred route.

I am only referring to the only diving scenario I know which is recreational drift diving at an average depth of 40 - 50 ft in warm water with excellent visibility (sample taken from 30 dives in Cozumel where I tracked max and avg depth). The notion of 3 cu ft of extra air for "deep" diving is of course silly, although some dives in Coz can hit the 90 - 100 ft mark, and beyond.

I know that I would feel much more confident about doing a CESA at 100 ft if I knew I had even just 1 extra breath between now and the surface. But what does that matter if I'm going to end up possibly getting bent? Not only that, but pony bottles appear to be incredibly cheaper than "Spare Air" anyway, though I guess additional hardware is needed, but at least the cheaper price can help to offset some of that cost.

(Hope I didn't go off too far on a tangent about the spare air, or cause too many groans by beating a deader than dead horse :bonk: :D ).

Well, I guess the abundance of snarky remarks stem from the issue being debated so many times; sorry you didn't find a good discussion.

To me, a 3 cf SA is like the equivalent an extra 100# of a 80 cf tank. For a 40-50 ft emergency ascent, I'd rather keep my reg in my mouth and do a CESA. I did one in March in Coz when I screwed up and it worked ok. Got a thread here on Near Misses about the incident with the details.

Anything deeper, any other circumstance, and you are likely to waste that much air fumbling back to your back gas reg anyway. The 6 cf SA would give you twice as much to ascend with at least, and I guess one of those would be as good as a 6 cf pony.

Captain Wooki who posted above is an expert diver tho, and he dives a 13 cf - so I would call that a minimum. I'm a fumbling klutz so I dive a 19, other than that day that I could get it filled and had my CESA.

Otherwise, follow your buddy very closely and monitor his air along with your own to ensure you can grab his alternate reg and he will have plenty for both with caca hits fan. My experience with buddies is what got me to buy the pony. It's a hassle, servicing the pony reg & tank, breaching the pony, checking it in luggage, getting it filled, etc - but the way I always do it when I can.

yes we did have octos. but i used his not mine. i think the reasoning was, we couldnt tell if it was the first stage or second stage causing the issue, but we didnt care. i wasnt going to dive with the bad 2nd stage any way. so we tried to make minor adjustments and then i used his octo to get to the top. im glad i did. this did 2 things. i could try to relax and get to the top on his pace, being that this was my first "real" dive i needed that assurance that i wasnt going to fast and it was comforting to know i was in "good hands" and i just had to worry about breathing and relaxing.

the spare air was just an extra little bit of air. i dont plan on using it as a pony replacement at all.
Ok, gotcha.

When you mentioned having to 'buddy breathe' (which is passing a SINGLE reg back and forth) I was wondering about the rescuer's octos. However, all is clear now...

Dandy Don, above, has some good advice in terms of a pony. The Spare Air's are more expensive because they come with a form of regulator built in. you'd need a separate reg for a pony.

I dive a 100# steel, which gives me 23cf more than a standard 80 (which actually, only has 77cf at 3000psi). It's like having a built-in pony (unless, of course, you have a 1st stage issue), and better buoyancy qualities, as gravy...

Again, very happy to hear your near-miss had a happy ending, and you apparently kept your wits.... I've had an insta-bud in a similar situation, who didn't wait for a primary, *or* an octo hand-off... He 'borrowed' my primary the moment he realized he had an issue...

100s are great, but I am such an air hog, I use them like others use 80s. Love 130s but they are so rare. Even tho your 100 gives you 30% more back gas, and if you're not a hog like me can use it for lonnng dives, there's still a lot of appeal to having the separate system to me. Maybe too much money, servicing, hauling, and then diving with one for common appeal - but for anyone tempted to get a Spare Air, yeah a better idea I think.

A 3cf Spare Air, isn't going to do squat for you, if you're past your NDL, at 60 feet or greater.

Amen. Get a pony bottle with a pony reg. A 19 cubic feet or 30 cubic feet might suit you.

I stopped by my home dive shop yesterday to get some O-rings, paused to look around to see if anything else came to mind, saw their Spare Air counter model. :shakehead: Great little shop to be so far inland but they are geared to introducing new divers to the sport, keeping interest going on the high desert, sponsoring organized trips.

The SA product line seems silly when I think of their 3 & 6 Cf models, but now I am reminded that it gets worse....
They also offer a 1.7 cf model?! :shocked2: Give me a break; buy, breach, carry, fill, dive with one extra breath at depth? Gawd!

Or for $50 extra: The Nitrox Model! :silly: OMG! You lose O2 clean status the first time you breach it to check in luggage, no filler anywhere is ever going to partial fill that, and why do you want Nitrox in a 3 or 6 cf emergency bottle anyway. You can fill blended Nitrox into any tank including the cheaper SAs but I don't see any point in that even.​
I suppose they're marking to demands...?

While we know that most are not going to bother with the extra expense and hassle of a bail out bottle, for anyone considering a SA, there is one other alternative to the pony, reg, Spg, sling: H2Odyssey Extra Air System reviews and discounts, H2Odyssey At least it is available in 13 & 19 cf sizes, but damn - once you put together the essentials, you're into the $500 USD range. I think you can sling a 13 or 19 Cf pony with spg for less than $400.

Keep in mind SpareAir made it(BIG MONEY) off the military and continue to do so. Our little industry is nothing in the big picture to SA.

Keep in mind SpareAir made it(BIG MONEY) off the military and continue to do so. Our little industry is nothing in the big picture to SA.
They probly are useful to a pilot wanting a few breaths as he climbs out of a submerged helicopter, but WTH are the 1.7 cf and nitrox models about? Those are just gimmick sales aimed at us.

They did care enough about our business to lobby TSA into publishing actual rules, for which I am grateful. I flew my pony several times without rules, hoping for no problems - but also not bothering to remove the valve.

They probly are useful to a pilot wanting a few breaths as he climbs out of a submerged helicopter, but WTH are the 1.7 cf and nitrox models about? Those are just gimmick sales aimed at us.

They did care enough about our business to lobby TSA into publishing actual rules, for which I am grateful. I flew my pony several times without rules, hoping for no problems - but also not bothering to remove the valve.

Submerged pilots is exactly what the product was initially made for. SCUBA was an afterthought.
So I'm told, the military only uses them once and throws them away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom