Thanks to Scuba Punk....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You guys remember scuba punk? Not sure if he's active here or not, but he is over at another board I am on. At any rate, he posted that as a 300+ pounder he had done a triathlon and was training for more. I wasn't 3 bills (yet, but not far) and never thought I could do one, he inspired me to sign up.

Did 3 or 4 last year, plus a couple long distance swims (including alcatraz), started this season, and last weekend I was the swimmer for a half ironman relay team, watching all the other finishers inspired me to do one all by my lonesome. So I just registered for a half ironman distance next March in Ocenaside, Cal.

Can I do it? I am a good swimmer, a middle of the pack biker, and a horrible runner, but that just gives me something to work on. I think I can finish, but I won't be winning any medals.

So thanks Frank, and maybe if I can pay it forward to someone else to get interested in it. It's been a pretty amazing ride and, like diving, I have met some of the coolest people around.....If you've ever thought about doing one, go for it.

Chris

That's awesome Chris! I didn't know you were a triathlete. :D I'll try not to tempt you with any after-dive pizzas next time we're on the Sundiver!

John

Awww, now you're making me blush. I was planning on doing my first Half Iron this fall, but with everything going on this spring I didn't get started on my 6 month training plan in time to prepare for it properly. So 2007 will be the Half IM year for both of us! Yeah, it is a blast. I've committed myself for a bunch of tris and adventure races this year (even a track cycling class), so I guess I better get my head out of my butt and start training, huh? I think it's harder to get started the second time around, but seeing this tonight is all I needed to get my rear end out the door for a run. See? You've already paid it forward/backward/sideways :)

There's always the unseen stuff, but if you train for it Chris, you'll finish and do great! For guys like us these things aren't about podium hardware or bragging rights on Slowtwitch, but about pushing ourselves further than we could have ever thought. Congratulations for signing up. The run is the worst part for me too, but if I can do it, I know anyone can.

-Frank

If you can do the swim and are a middle of the pack cyclist, you can walk the rest. It won't be fun, but no matter how much training you do between now and then, know that you will be able to finish as long as you pace yourself.

I've done quite a few races, myself, but you would never catch me in the Bay in a wetsuit! I'd be a full-body cramp waiting for the start. By doing that swim alone, you've shown you're tough enough for the training and the racing. <g>

Oh, and be careful. I know many, many good divers who got into endurance training to get into shape for diving, but then quit diving to devote more time to endurance training. <g>

Cameron

Good luck and best wishes on it all!

Ive always wanted to try something like this. I know we have such local events, and if not, vancouver is only an 1 or 2 away, lol.

I think someday I will find the time to train and try. Not looking to win or anything, a personal accomlishment will be to finish!

I have an idea of what it will take. Im an alright swimmer, pretty decent biker i would say, and so so at running (Any other PDTs in here?) Id definatly have to work at it.

But yeah, best of luck and everything! Let us know how you do!

sorry to butt in!

CameronMartz:
Oh, and be careful. I know many, many good divers who got into endurance training to get into shape for diving, but then quit diving to devote more time to endurance training. <g>

Ouch, if I were any better than a half butt diver, I'd think that was a dig at me. But since I stink at diving even more than I do triathlon, I know you were thinking of someone else.

Seriously though, I've spent more time putting my doubles back together this spring than I have trying to put a power meter on the bike, so that gotta' count for something, right? Right? Eh, never mind.

-Frank

ntt:
Good luck and best wishes on it all!

Ive always wanted to try something like this. I know we have such local events, and if not, vancouver is only an 1 or 2 away, lol........

Not a butt in at all. And all it takes is signing up :) My first one was a real short one, didn't take much training. Just knowing you can do one takes a lot of the myth out of it

No Frank, he's talking about me, I'm sure of it.... Before you got me into this I was averaging 120 + dives a year. Now I am down to like 60-80... I think.... if that. Still trying to find that balance. But you know what? Tris, and the people around them, have added a new dimension to my life that I never ever thought I'd have.

But I'm not quitting divng. In fact, I'm heading to Cocos Island next month :D :D :D

I'm stoked that 2007 will be the year we both do HIMs!

Cocos!?!? You stink :) Actually, if things went according to what we had planned a year ago, Jen and I would be boarding a plane this weekend to go to South Africa for two weeks of cage diving and land safari for our 10th anniversary. Just goes to show you, huh?

I will get in the water after Memorial Day though. I'm suffering from a severe lack of Hyperbaric Oxygen :D

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom