Thanks to Gilbert and JP and the Divevets!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last night I dove Vets Park in Redondo Beach with Gilbert and JP. The dive last night was interesting. I learned alot and saw some really cool marine life including getting buzzed by a sea lion. Gilbert and JP were awesome and took the time to help me out and kept an eye on me. I can't say enough how much I really appreciate two guys who have never met me taking the time to bring a newbie diving and putting up with all my mistakes. I even got to check out two BP/W setups in person. I definitely learned to always carefully inspect the rental gear. I was not aware I did not have a shoulder dump until it was too late. I am not a fan of weight belts at all I found out again. I had a real hard time with my buoyancy during the whole dive. It resulted in me making a unplanned ascent to the surface. At least I got to practice that skill I learned in OW. Still, I really enjoyed it and look forward to going home and telling all the folks about the dive and cool things I saw.

It was great diving last night... ankle slappers at the start which got a little bigger later in the night and not too cold either. Aside from the buoyancy adjustment, we had a great time dive together!

I noticed they lacked shoulder dumps. It was my fault not checking my equipment more thoroughly first. I believe part of my problem was I was wearing all of my weight on my hips on a weight belt. I could never get my butt up to float horizontal. I over corrected and by the time I realized it it was too late. Like I said, a learning experience. When I am wearing my buddies Zeagle at home, the weight is much better distributed and I can maintain one spot alot easier. I am so looking forward to buying my own gear next spring. Right now I am bouncing between Hog harness, Dive Rite Transpac (fav so far) and a Zeagle Brigade. I hate weight belts, so whatever I get will have weight pockets or a plate heavy enough to not need them during my normal dives.

The Transpac makes for a good do-it-all rig. Light enough for travel and all you need is rent weight at your destination.

Hard plate is always nice but doesn't necessarily travel well because of the weight, unless it's aluminum or plastic plate.

The Transplate comes with a shoulder dump with an option for a simple elbow...

Probably. There were actually 2 shoulder dumps on his BC, just no rear dump. I think the lack of pre-dive checking / prep (partially my fault) and the lack of a rear dump didn't help.

That said, if you do end up with a BP/W setup, you'll find that more often than not, you're using the rear dump / OPV (by your butt) more than you're using the shoulder dump. Since you spend most of your time in the horizontal position, it's easier to pitch forward a bit and pull the dump than pivoting upwards and holding your inflator hose up to release air. One of my wings actually has a shoulder dump connected to the inflator hose (pull the corrugated hose to dump air) and I've used it maybe once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom