Thailand Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorinc03

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are the recommended diving places for a beginner (or advanced beginner) in Thailand? Looking to go in February to somewhere easily reachable from either Phuket or Ko Samui.

1. Stay away from Phuket.
2. Koh Tao is the obvious choice from Samui. Avoid the infamous "dive factories" on the island.
Master Divers is one of the few exception.
Check the weather pattern first.

1. Stay away from Phuket.
2. Koh Tao is the obvious choice from Samui. Avoid the infamous "dive factories" on the island.
Master Divers is one of the few exception.
Check the weather pattern first.
I’d add DJL to the trusted dive operators, from their FB postings MD is turning into a training factory.

Forgot to mention Khao Lak which is about 2hrs by bus from Phuket Bus Terminal 2. The place is very spread out so be careful where to stay for easy access to the dive operator or being pick up.

Ii haven’t been to Phuket in more than 5 years now but planning a vacation soon. What’s wrong with Phuket now? Anything changed in the last few years? Some 12-15 years back as a newbie diver with under 30 dives, Phuket was my go to place to experience International standards in everything (which my country sorely lacks even today) and I made it my go-to dive destination once a year for many years thereafter …

Ii haven’t been to Phuket in more than 5 years now but planning a vacation soon. What’s wrong with Phuket now? Anything changed in the last few years? Some 12-15 years back as a newbie diver with under 30 dives, Phuket was my go to place to experience International standards in everything (which my country sorely lacks even today) and I made it my go-to dive destination once a year for many years thereafter …
Nothing has changed and probably getting worst as bus load of chinese and russian have been arriving.
International standard as top seedy place in SE Asia.

Forgot to mention Khao Lak which is about 2hrs by bus from Phuket Bus Terminal 2. The place is very spread out so be careful where to stay for easy access to the dive operator or being pick up.
Thanks for the suggestions, what about Koh Phi Phi? Is it unsuitable for beginners?

Thanks for the suggestions, what about Koh Phi Phi? Is it unsuitable for beginners?
Phuket-PhiPhi same same. It is the base for heading to PhiPhi. Most scuba boats from Phuket organise day trips PhiPhi for diving but you also have the option of staying in PhiPhi.

I would say don’t let opinions make you run away - Phuket is a great destination for beginner divers and you don’t really need to do any advance bookings. You’ll find dive shops as easily as you find grocery stores everywhere. Just walk in to any shop today to discuss tomorrow’s options and dive schedules. My gut feeling is that full day boat trips might be booked in advance during peak season though but if your schedule is not tight you won’t find it hard to get a seat on a boat somewhere unless you are fixated on a specific trip. Again I speak from impressions I got from many years back but there are many expats and dive shop operators here on SB who understand the seasonal situation on the ground better and can give you even better tips.

Just lookup tripadvisor reviews to short-list a few dive shops that you might fancy and look them up on Google maps when you book hotels. Most dive shops also provide pickup in the morning within a few kms of Patong or Chalong pier.

Back
Top Bottom