Thai Visa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mase

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Planning to come to Thailand for 75 days. I believe Tourist Visa is only good for stay of 60 days. A non-immigration visa would allow stay up to 90 days but as a tourist, I don't believe I qualify. Any suggestions what I might be able to do? Would love to be able to avoid Visa Run.

Get a tourist visa from you local Thai Embassy or Consulate, this will be valid for two months and can be renewned at any in country immigration office fro another month.
It may be difficult to get one of these visa however, it's not easy as it used to be and sometimes you get the impression that Thailand doesn't want visitors to stay long term.

Hope this will work for you.

Get a tourist visa from you local Thai Embassy or Consulate, this will be valid for two months and can be renewned at any in country immigration office fro another month.

Thanks for the info. Is there an immigration office in Samui where I can renew it, since I will be in Koh Tao for a good part of the time?

If you plan to visit again within the year the multi entry non imigrant o visa is the best solution, then for the year, every time you enter thailand you get a stamp for 90 days.
They should be easilly obtained at a thai consulate in your country before you leave. Certainly in the UK, they (and tourist visas) are very easilly obtained, simply fill in the downloadable form, and of course most importantly furnish them with the appropriate fee.

If you plan to visit again within the year the multi entry non imigrant o visa is the best solution, then for the year, every time you enter thailand you get a stamp for 90 days.

It does not appear that this type of visa is applicable to tourists. Verification of: family visit, education, business or state related work seem to be required. Am I missing something?

It does not appear that this type of visa is applicable to tourists. Verification of: family visit, education, business or state related work seem to be required. Am I missing something?

I and many others from the UK have used this type of visa to stay long term in Thailand. I dont see why US citizens should be any different. I only have to have a letter from a familly member acting as a guarantor should I have a problem whilst in Thailand. Note that both the O and tourist visas do not permit you to work in Thailand.
The only grey area I have found with these visas are that some Thai immigration offices will (obviously for a fee) give you a re entry stamp for your next 90 days, where others will not and you may have to actually leave the country. As I understand the situation now if you do a 1 day 'visa run' to a land border even with the 'O' visa they only give you 15 days now on re entry.
Maybe it would be worth contacting your nearest Thai consulate to check the situation, as the rules are wide open to different interpretations.
It wouldn't be thailand if the visa situation was simple.

Thanks for the info. Is there an immigration office in Samui where I can renew it, since I will be in Koh Tao for a good part of the time?

Hi Mase,

Yes, there's an immigration office in Nathon on Koh Samui.

I generally have 2 trips per year to thailand of about 6-7 weeks each. Every year I use the non imigrant visa which is obtained very easilly, and i have to do nothing while I am in Thailand.

I generally have 2 trips per year to thailand of about 6-7 weeks each. Every year I use the non imigrant visa which is obtained very easilly, and i have to do nothing while I am in Thailand.

The non-immigration visa appears to require additional information, such as a letter from a family or a business in Thailand. Do you have to provide anything other then your passport and your itinerary.
See LK post above.

The non-immigration visa appears to require additional information, such as a letter from a family or a business in Thailand. Do you have to provide anything other then your passport and your itinerary.
See LK post above.

Yes, last year I had to provide such a letter, but I thought this year when renewing the visa the same letter would be ok. They told me I should have a new one each year but they gave me the visa regardless so I guess it's not too important.
Either way they get their fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom