Tg-6 Housing (Need opinions!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a TG-5 with the PT-058 housing for several hundred dives; and I've used the same PT-058 housing with a TG-6 for over a year now; about 50 dives. No complaints or problems.
This is my experience also. Except I have only about 10 dives on the TG-6, I couldn't resist the $100 off sale Olympus had a month or so ago.

The TG-6 is waterproof itself to something like 50'. Even if the PT-059 leaks, the camera should be fine provided you surface promptly. I'd use the savings on lights/tray, etc. instead. I've had many Olympus "plastic" housings over the years and they are well made. PT-059 is around $299 US and the Kraken is around $745 US (I do not see any discounts at the usual UW photo sites) - that's over a $400 difference. The camera itself is only $350.

Unless you're a serious photographer doing a lot of diving, I mean a lot, or you just have the money to spend I agree with this assessment. I would spend on other accessories. I say this because I have an older model and my Olympus housing has quite a few dives in lots of conditions, depths and temperature and never had an issue. Again, I'm only a recreational diver, nothing tech.

I wouldn’t buy any housing without a vacuum/alarm system. I honestly don’t know why anyone would. It’s like a car without seatbelts.... mind you. The phrase ‘i don’t see the need to spend the extra money’ doesn’t really live in my vocabulary when it comes to underwater photography.

I’ve seen more than one person ruin at least the first few days of a $5k+ trip with a flood because they had previously decided to save a couple hundred bucks on equipment.
I think the waterproof TG-6 with the stock underwater housing might be an exception. I'm with you, I would never put a more expensive, non-waterproof camera in a case without a vacuum system, and don't.

Thank you so much for all the advice and opinions! Gave me a much better perspective on this issue. I'll most likely go for the olympus housing!

Unless you're a serious photographer doing a lot of diving, I mean a lot, or you just have the money to spend I agree with this assessment. I would spend on other accessories. I say this because I have an older model and my Olympus housing has quite a few dives in lots of conditions, depths and temperature and never had an issue. Again, I'm only a recreational diver, nothing tech.

Yep, and if you're really that serious you're not using a TG-6.

And, FWIW, I've had a TG-4 down to 80' on a couple of occasions. It stopped working, probably because it thought all of its buttons were being pressed at once, but resumed working when it got back to 50'.

This crab was at about 90 feet...no torch off of Beaufort, NC 4th of July. Just the TG4 with housing. I also did some video, but the format I can't post on here and I haven't changed it yet...oh well...The Pygmy Seahorse is with the TG3 with very same housing earlier this year an no torch. I bought the TG3 in 2014 but now I have the 4.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 93
  • Pygmy Seahorse Borneo.jpg
    Pygmy Seahorse Borneo.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 88
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom