Tg-6 Housing (Need opinions!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qilqilqil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing the TG-6. I can't decide whether to get the olympus housing or the Weefine/Kraken Sports aluminium (with vacuum) housing. The price difference between the options is about $250 due to ongoing sales for the Weefine/Kraken.

Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for the aluminium housing, or is the olympus one more than sufficient and lasting?

Please do give you inputs :) I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Thank you in advance!

The TG-6 is waterproof itself to something like 50'. Even if the PT-059 leaks, the camera should be fine provided you surface promptly. I'd use the savings on lights/tray, etc. instead. I've had many Olympus "plastic" housings over the years and they are well made. PT-059 is around $299 US and the Kraken is around $745 US (I do not see any discounts at the usual UW photo sites) - that's over a $400 difference. The camera itself is only $350.

The vacuum system alone is worth the price difference.
Yes I was thinking the same actually.

The TG-6 is waterproof itself to something like 50'. Even if the PT-059 leaks, the camera should be fine provided you surface promptly. I'd use the savings on lights/tray, etc. instead. I've had many Olympus "plastic" housings over the years and they are well made. PT-059 is around $299 US and the Kraken is around $745 US (I do not see any discounts at the usual UW photo sites) - that's over a $400 difference. The camera itself is only $350.
It is on offer in my local store. Yeah I was more concerned about the housing material rather than the vacuum since the tg6 is pretty much waterproof.

Thank you for your inputs! Hope to hear more from others as well.

Granted only limited experience so far (10 dives) with the TG-6 and Olympus housing, but it worked well and is solidly built. I don't have any reservations about using it at depth beyond what the camera itself is rated for.

I found the housing (pt058, which also fits) on ebay for under $200. Not easy to find at that price in nearly new condition though.

Why are you so confident about this?

I feel secure based on handling the product and getting to put it into action at the recreational depths its intended for. It's got a good amount of heft to it, seals well, etc. Top it off that its protecting a moderately priced point-and-shoot camera 'only', so taking a bit of risk with a poly vs. metal housing seems like a reasonable one to take - especially given the additional price the latter would bring with it.

But...everyones risk vs. reward equation is different. There isn't a right or wrong way to go ultimately on it.

I feel secure based on handling the product and getting to put it into action at the recreational depths its intended for. It's got a good amount of heft to it, seals well, etc. Top it off that its protecting a moderately priced point-and-shoot camera 'only', so taking a bit of risk with a poly vs. metal housing seems like a reasonable one to take - especially given the additional price the latter would bring with it.

But...everyones risk vs. reward equation is different. There isn't a right or wrong way to go ultimately on it.
Perhaps I misunderstand. Are you talking about taking the naked TG-6 without a housing to more than its 15m rated depth, all the way to 40m recreational depths?

Back
Top Bottom