TexasMike's Flower Gardens Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Photos from my trip to the Flower Gardens on July 5th & 6th have been posted to the web and can be viewed by clicking this link

Things I learned about photography on this trip:
  • Read the manual on your camera, especially when it discusses focusing distances.
  • Always be ready ready to shoot a picture, you never know when something interesting will sneek up behind you
  • You can never have enough shots of sea urchins
  • Learn how to frame the shot
All in all, I thought it was pretty good for just my 2nd attempt at u/w photography.

Comments and critiques of the photos are appreciated.

Hello,

For things that you mentioned (framing, composure, structure, prep and readyness) I suggest churches series of books. BTW what camera(s)/ lens do you have? This plays a major roll in framing/focusing/etc..

With my nikonos V 20mm lens I don't bother to use the 'viewfinder' I use my wrist and elbows as viewfinders.

OH, BTW your 'unknown fish' is but a queen parrotfish (scarus vetula) You can always hear the parrotfish in the area eating rock encrusted w/ corraline algae and pulverizing it w/ their inner set of teeth. This one isn't a 'supermale'.

Ed

Boy, I get excited about posting my photos and I forget to provide other details!

I was using the ReefMaster RC with the small "push on" closeup lens provided and the sport finder mounted ontop. Film was Kodak Royal Gold ISO400. Processing was done via the Kodak SEA processing.

All in all, the camera did pretty good for not recording that much backscatter. My previous attempt (I'll post those photos as soon as I unpack the CD) was with an MX-10 with the YSA strobe and I got more backscatter with that setup than I did this one.

For now, I'm thinking of purchasing the Reefmaster with the "detached" strobe to gain experience and eventually move up to their MotorMarine setup.

Hello,

Well in that case you may opt to disregard the viewfinder and it should be dubed 'view-not-finder'. Simply aim with your wrist and imagine there's a line going from your elbows to your wrist to the subject. This line is the 'in focus' region. If you hold the camera so the subject is blocked with the unit then you are guaranteed a frame shot. Once you get the hang of it you can do it with it under your chin.

Also keep in mind with that unit you should be closer to the subject. You can work out the min/max figures and take into account the water conditions and guestimate the idea usable camera to subject distance.

Ed

Ed,

Actually, I read after the fact the info about the focus distance being "chin to fin" when not using the close up lens, and about 1/2 that when using the close up.

I chalk this up to experience and plan on practicing more.

Can I help you with some of your fish ID's? I jotted down a few notes as I went through your photos and they're pretty much in order.

1. Princess Wrasse = Stoplight Parrotfish
2. Unknown fish (black and white) = Intermediate phase Stoplight Parrotfish
3. Orange Surgeonfish = Blue Tang, that phot had alot of orange tint to it.
4. Untitled photo after that one = Bearded Fireworm
5. Misc. fish = Yellowtail snapper / Spanish Hogfish
6. Batfish on rig = Atlantic Spadefish
7. Fish swimming outside of rig = Lookdowns

I think you did a great job for your second try. Some of your photos have an awful lot of orange tint to them. You may have gotten some old film, the film got too hot, or it was old/bad chemicals during processing.

One of the best on-line photography sites is Dave Reads site. http://www.daveread.com/uw-photo/ He has an excellent way of explaining all the technical stuff in plain English. Give it a look....

Congrats....and keep practicing!

Dee, is the fireworm the "purple curvey thing" in this shot?

If so, I'm sure glad I respected my distance!

Hello,

yup bristle worm family for sure :wink:

Ed

You betcha! That purple curvey thing packs quite a whollop. Sure can be cute and fuzzy, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom