Texas Clipper Reefing Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what's the deal, only one dive operation a day is allowed to dive on the clipper?

The site is open to the public. However, there is only one dive operation out of South Padre that I know of and that is American Diving. I'm sure you'll see some private boats making runs to the clipper.

CHUM does have first dibs on diving the clipper. If she does sink on the 15th, Oak Hill Scuba has tenative plans to run a trip on the 19th. We still have spots available for that one.

Hopefully, Tim will be finished with the PM on his boat in time for the sinking.

American Diving is a class act. Went diving with them during South Padre's 1st Annual Scuba Week last month. We had hoped to dive the Clipper then, but alas we will have to wait until next year. We did get to dive with a whale shark and a school of hammerhead. CHUM have a blast. :D

I'm scheduled to be on that CHUM trip when it sinks, although I think I better will my spot to my grandchildren just in case. We paid our fees in full last April so somebody is getting a nice interest-free loan.

So I really don't feel like reading through the entire website... How are they sinking this bad gal? Pumping onboard, or is thing going down with fireworks?

Pumping onboard.

Based on requirements for calm seas and hot air, it will be next spring before they get the thing on the bottom!

Oh, I don't know... it seems to me that there is plenty of hot air... (ba-dum-bm!)

Yes, CHUM does have the first day but there are at least two seats available on the boat. PM me if you're interested in making the maiden dive.

The reefing of the Texas Clipper has been moved to Friday, November 16. She will be towed out to her final resting place in the morning and reefed in the early afternoon. If you are interested in viewing the sinking you can check the TPWD website for information at Texas Clipper Ship Overview.

This is from the reefing website:
Texas Clipper Ship Project

SINKING DATE HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED to 16 November 2007

The sinking of the Texas Clipper has been postponedto Friday, November 16th, at the earliest. Weather conditions at the site will become so severe in the early morning hours Thursday that the sinking operation would be jeopardized. Project managers have decided that it will be a one day operation with the Clipper towed out to the reef site and sunk on the same day, as soon as the weather and sea state calm down from the front that will pass over the site Thursday morning. The ship will leave the Brownsville harbor between 6:00 and 6:30 am and should pass the jetties at South Padre Island between 9:00 and 9:30 am. She will arrive at the reefing site and be prepped for sinking. At this time the sinking is estimated to happen about 2:00 pm but that is a very rough estimate. A final call on the timing of the operation will be decided on Thursday afternoon. Please call 1-800-792-1112, then 9, then 8830# to hear the Texas Clipper Sinking Information line recorded message for updates as more information becomes available. The reefing process will happen at the earliest time that seas subside to safe levels. If you are traveling to the South Padre Island area to view the sinking, please allow time in your plans for any delays that may occur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom