Texas Clipper Reefing Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chum member reports that she has been dove....report pending.

She resisted but we prevailed. TPWD didn't clear her until after 3pm so we did a nearby rig the first dive since we wouldn't have enough daylight for two on the Clipper. High point is indeed 62 feet and she is more than 90 degrees rolled, more like 100 degrees so slightly hull up. I hear there was a performance bond requiring her upright so maybe after all the requisite legal battles they will try to right her. That should be interesting.

Anyway, the dive was cool and we had a number of ex-cadets who had served on the ship. We tried to cover as much ground as possible, so we were just getting an overview rather than detail. Viz was understandably murky, maybe 20 feet above 90' and less below that. I don't recall but I think my max was 110' and water temp 78 degrees. Below are some unedited pics, including one of the plaque.

Attachments

• 640_PB190189.JPG
    640_PB190189.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 640_PB190191.JPG
    640_PB190191.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 640_PB190207.JPG
    640_PB190207.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 80
Lift bags I tell Ya, lift bags! Actually, if any body knows of a large derrick barge that is not too busy, maybe we could get them to donate the effort. In reality, we'll end up diving her on her side until a good sized storm comes in to roll her.

. High point is indeed 62 feet and she is more than 90 degrees rolled, more like 100 degrees so slightly hull up. I hear there was a performance bond requiring her upright so maybe after all the requisite legal battles they will try to right her. That should be interesting.

At least it wasn't completely "Hull up" like the Spiegal Grove was....

Interesting note about a possible "performance bond".

As a note, it cost $250,000 paid to Resolve Marine Group to flip the Grove from inverted to on it's side. While the clipper is smaller than the Grove was, I still bet that flipping her upright will cost at least 6 figures.

Of course the Grove was finally flipped upright completely by Hurricane Dennis for free.

If they can raise the titanic, they can roll the Texas Clapper.... (as our ships have been so endearingly refered to by us cadets).

If they can raise the titanic, they can roll the Texas Clapper.... (as our ships have been so endearingly refered to by us cadets).

Please PM me before you head to Annapolis....we need to get this Titanic issue right! :mooner:

Clearly you have not heard of Dirk Pitt and his adventures?

Leave her where she lays.
I just want open access and reasonable deck plans :D

Are the lower decks open for us non-recreational types... :popcorn:

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom