Texan traveling to LA, wanting to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadhender

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in the Long Beach area for work in October and IM wanting to dive. I will arrive on the Oct. 16th and want to dive the 17th and 18th. I have always heard catilina island was good but I will take your suggestions. Whats a good boat to go out on? Also I would love to have a local buddy if anyone has time. (Ive been diving for 14 years and Im an active Padi DM) Thanks!

Chad

I work in LA 1 week every couple of months and use the weekends for diving. I tend to dive the Great Escape, the slip is in Long Beach next to the Bottom Scratcher (another option). If neither of those work, there are some out of San Pedro which is very close. Basically any diving in Catalina or the Channel Islands is really nice. They start complaining when vis drops below 30 feet. It is usually not an issue to find a buddy on the boat.

I often use Sports Chalet to rent gear. As a dive op, it is not the best, but their liberal rental policy lets you pick up tanks and weights the day before and return the day after renting. Add that to their late hours and its hard to beat.

howdy, Chad. A buddy and I are looking to jump on a boat the 17th... my two favorite out of Long Beach (G.E. & Sundiver) are both on a multi-day charter that weekend but the Bottom Scratcher (good option) is open. Check out link for most California boats for options here:
California Dive Boats : The Official Page
If we (or just I) get on, I'll let you know and you are more than welcome to dive with us.

Hey Dave!!

I'd like to join you and your buddy on that boat trip.
Let me know the details as soon as you get them worked out so I can book it too!!

Hi Chad,

Welcome in advance to CA. I was lucky enough to live in Austin, TX for a couple of years. :)

Our big boat is on a multi-day with Utah Search & Rescue guys on the 17th, but our almost as big, fast boat will be running a 3 tank trips to Catalina for $95, all inclusive on the 17th & 18th. We have tanks & weights on all our vessels. Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email for further details if you're interested.

Cheers,
Captain Kyaa
Sundiver International
800-555-9446

Chad,

Keep us updated with your arrival and dive dates. I may make it yet, but I'm still not sure because my schedule is still fluctuating like crazy. I was a guest with a Texan diver when I was in Austin - we went and dived at that lake in the northwest of Austin. I'd like to return a favor and host a visiting Texan for some good SoCal dives.

For Catalina, my favorite boats are the Sundiver (and its sister ships), the Magician, the Great Escape.

What type of exposure protection do you use in October? I have a 4 mil but will prob pick up a 7 mil before coming out. Whould that be enough? I will arrive on Friday the 16th at night and would like to dive Saturday and Sunday

I would want a full 7mil with a hood and gloves for boat diving. The sequential nature of the dives will cool you down in anything thinner.

7mm should be fine. Water is still very warm right now, mid to high 60sF.

Looks like I'm going to be out of state for that weekend and the week after that. Sorry, you're gonna have to go with me.

But I'd suggest check with the Sea Bass for Saturday oil rig dive with Hollywood Divers dive shop Dive Sea Bass - diving co. - Sea Bass Calendar/Schedule

And maybe Sunday go out on the Great Escape dive boat chartered by Reef Seekers to Farnsworth Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar

Oil rig dives are always fun and different while Farnsworth is one of the premier dive sites in SoCal where you get to see the hard purple hydrocoral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom