Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can also recommend an app called flightradar 24 to travellers worried about flight cancellations. This shows all air traffic in real time with delays and cancellations for each airport. I've been using this to advise guests when information is scarce or contradictory.

I feel sorry for divers who may have to change their plans and local businesses that get hurt with cancellations, but my main thoughts are still for villagers living on the slopes of the Rinjani. Let's hope this eruption does not escalate!

Finally made it back to Bali after my "day trip" to Jakarta... I flew Bali to JKT on tuesday at 6am and was due to fly back at 9pm, even left my car in the parking lot in Bali. Flight on tues night canceled, then they canceled wed too. So on thursday I took a flight to Surabaya and got on an overnight bus back to Bali. Arrived friday at noon back to the "chaotic" looking Bali airport to pick up my car! Now really wish I didn't park it so near a tree haha.. So an 18 hour trip turned into 80 hours..haha... Parking fee was still less than the taxi ride though..
Traffic at the airport very chaotic today, so many delays etc, feel bad for those who can't just take a bus home. Will be a few days before flights return to normal I believe, once everyone gets their delayed flights taken care of

I can also recommend an app called flightradar 24 to travellers worried about flight cancellations. This shows all air traffic in real time with delays and cancellations for each airport. I've been using this to advise guests when information is scarce or contradictory.

Awesome app Cedric / James! WOW.

Wow....what an ordeal. Thanks for the update on the airport situation. The flights should be back to normal by the end of next week when I'll be arriving/departing, I hope. :wink: Thanks!

Finally made it back to Bali after my "day trip" to Jakarta... I flew Bali to JKT on tuesday at 6am and was due to fly back at 9pm, even left my car in the parking lot in Bali. Flight on tues night canceled, then they canceled wed too. So on thursday I took a flight to Surabaya and got on an overnight bus back to Bali. Arrived friday at noon back to the "chaotic" looking Bali airport to pick up my car! Now really wish I didn't park it so near a tree haha.. So an 18 hour trip turned into 80 hours..haha... Parking fee was still less than the taxi ride though..
Traffic at the airport very chaotic today, so many delays etc, feel bad for those who can't just take a bus home. Will be a few days before flights return to normal I believe, once everyone gets their delayed flights taken care of

Can't say I'll be booking with Virgin again anytime soon. This is the latest from their web page -

"As Mt Rinjani continues to erupt and flying conditions remain unpredictable in the days to come, our priority is to bring guests home from Bali, rather than fly more guests in who could potentially be delayed in returning home due to ongoing eruptions. Therefore Virgin Australia remains ready to send aircraft over to Bali as soon as we receive advice that conditions in the vicinity of Denpasar airport will be safe for flying."

So regardless of the airport being open, VA have decided not to fly any more pax into DPS . I'm now Trying to book an alternative from BNE to DPS that doesn't take more than 24 hours...

BNE-TSV-DPS?

BNE-CNS-DPS?

Both Cairns and Townsville offer Jetstar flights to Bali. Though if VA is pulling this, JQ might not be far behind.

BNE-TSV-DPS?

BNE-CNS-DPS?

Both Cairns and Townsville offer Jetstar flights to Bali. Though if VA is pulling this, JQ might not be far behind.

Thanks for that. Yes -JQ may pull a few , but at least they are still flying pax up to DPS when possible, which is more than VA are doing. I'm checking SQ too, or will be once their website is back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom