Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I want to say something changed in June or July. They are trying to build up the IR. I don't know specifics, so maybe someone can chime in. We always use IR there so it wasn't a problem for us. Also... for the OP make sure you bring new(2007+), unmarked USD bills for exchange. No tears etc. You will get a better rate with $100 bills.

Not accepting Dollars might be concerns about counterfeit bills.

I'm no expert just an observer but
The IR has been on a downward trend for the last few years...lately under assault by currency traders who are like vultures...the Indonesian Central bank has been trying to keep the IR from depreciating further and recently there has been some appreciation... Indonesia actually wants the dollars to accumulate reserves as a way keep the vultures at bay... I'm no expert but as I understand Indonesia has big challenges in development, a huge archipelago with limited and challenging infrastructure...also Indonesia is highly dependent on commodity exports at around 30% of GDP and commodity prices have been falling...
Even when the government took the fuel subsidy away the Rupee kept falling...currency traders don't like big budget deficits... if the US dollar wasn't the worlds reserve currency it wouldn't hold the value it has now... I think the traders are trying to punish the government for the ban on raw mineral exports...the government want the mining companies to build smelters for the jobs and added value they would provide.

I made all my flights to Jakarta by my chinny chin chin...even my luggage arrived!!! Now I get to relax and enjoy

How is CGK? Can't believe we have just 6 weeks left.... Forms need to be filled out and I'm checking my flight PNR's every few days just in case Aeroplan, Turkish Airlines, Air Canada and Lufthansa try to trip us up. They are trying!!!

Volcano Eruption in Indonesia on Wednesday, 04 November, 2015 at 03:30 (03:30 AM) UTC.

Updated: Thursday, 05 November, 2015 at 03:33 UTC

Description
The volcanic eruption of Mount Rinjani in Indonesia has grounded flights for the third day in a row, The Sydney Morning Herald reported Thursday morning local time. Rinjani, on the island of Lombok, has erupted a number of times since Tuesday, and has the potential to continue erupting, according to Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency. Ngurah Rai International Airport on the nearby island of Bali, was closed Tuesday and Wednesday because of the risk of flying through the ash cloud in the skies overhead. Ngurah Rai, the main airport on Bali, will be closed until the morning of November 6, according to the airline Garuda Indonesia. Virgin, Jetstar and AirAsia flights were affected by the cloud on Thursday. According to the BBC, ash can be pulled into jet engines, affecting the internal operations of the engine and fuel flow. In July, Indonesia's Mount Raung erupted just 95 miles from the Bali International Airport, affecting air traffic for thousands. One of the most notorious volcano disruptions was in 2010 when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland canceled over 100,000 flights, affecting more than 10 million people.

Caligirl - is that a very recent thing? We have gone to indo every year for about 8 and have never had a problem even in remote areas (just fun with conversion rates).

The government has mandated all businesses must do everything in rupiah. There are some exceptions, but it is what it is. After seven years of getting paid in US dollars, I am now paid in rupiah. Luckily my employer has pegged my monthly salary to the ever-changing dollar exchange rate, but some are not so fortunate. What happens in rural areas has always been pretty lawless, but do not be surprised when businesses, especially those managed and owner by foreigners, do not accept your foreign currency. They are simply following the letter of the law which is a VERY smart move considering the current climate in Indonesia.

Evidence: Indonesia makes rupiah mandatory for all transactions, Business News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Volcano Eruption in Indonesia on Wednesday, 04 November, 2015 at 03:30 (03:30 AM) UTC.
Thanks, I read that article online. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The government has mandated all businesses must do everything in rupiah. There are some exceptions, but it is what it is. After seven years of getting paid in US dollars, I am now paid in rupiah. Luckily my employer has pegged my monthly salary to the ever-changing dollar exchange rate, but some are not so fortunate. What happens in rural areas has always been pretty lawless, but do not be surprised when businesses, especially those managed and owner by foreigners, do not accept your foreign currency. They are simply following the letter of the law which is a VERY smart move considering the current climate in Indonesia.

Evidence: Indonesia makes rupiah mandatory for all transactions, Business News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Interesting... I guess it will keep businesses from accepting foreign currency and stashing it as a hedge against further IR depreciation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom