Temp in Summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitten Diver:
DMP you are correct that one will not always be diving in a drysuit. Even for those who do dive dry it can be a bit of relief to only have to slip on a wetsuit instead of having to don the drysuit. You learn that you can adjust your underwear for different conditions and as you use a drysuit you gain effeciency it putting it on and taking it off. I wondered what I had gotten myself into the first time I used my drysuit after purchasing it from a SB member. Thanks to Brian for getting me thru the orientation process of the suit and thanks to time for experienced gained in both donning/doffing and use of the suit.

During my research a number of SB members suggested using the suit to alleviate squeeze instead of using the suit for boyancy as championed by PADI. I found that by keeping my exhaust valve about 4 clicks from full open allowed me to vent the air that I had injected into the suit during the dive. I wear the suit very compressed and find that it is easier for me to manage the air bubble in my bc at depth. Mind you I said easier for me to manage, your results may differ. Getting neutral in the water column is the same principle though and weighting will certainally have to be changed when switching thermal protections. So you will have to spend several dives getting yourself dialed in for proper bouyancy. You don't want to find yourself swimming around picking up rocks to carry to try and adjust your bouyancy with. Although I know of at least one fellow who had acquired new tanks that needed to spend the time doing just that. I would rather spend my time dialing in my trim in the drysuit since I will dive in that most of the time. Those of us who choose to dive in the North have bought into the idea that it is just easier to adjust undies and weighting for each dive than to manage this against a wetsuit as well. Besides we have already spent the money on a drysuit.

Once you have dove the drysuit you will find yourself reaching for it on most of your dives and as someone who started their diving career in Munising I could hack the diving in my 7 mill S-TEK with hood and gloves. It is nicer slipping into the water without the sudden rush of cold water and then enduring the surface interval just to slip it back on again for the second dive typical of a wetsuit. Once you dive a drysuit you learn appreciate the advantages that it provides to you. If you buy one you will see what I mean.

Mitten Diver

I agree, for me I waited till I was quite proficient in a wet suit with bouyancy and trim before moving onto a dry suit. I am still working out the bugs in that department, as I found this weekend that I am not satisfied with my bouyancy and trim to where I am comfortable doing anything deep yet. To do that would be asking for an episode that I do not want to deal with.

I'm only planning to spend around $100-$150 for a wet suit. I want to get comfortable and practice bouyancy before I take a class for the dry suit. But if I dive as much as I want to in Ohio I will make the purchase of a dry suit by the end of the year. I plan on buying all my gear (I only have the basic snorkel, mask & fins) with my tax refund check.

DMP,

To be honest, it took me a few dives to get used to using a dry suit. Now my wet suit collects dust, LOL. It is a different ball of wax as far as buoyancy. I should be down to the quarry this weekend. I will be with a group diving doubles (including myself), but I am sure that you will be more than welcome to join us as my dive buddy. One of my group is my tech instructor and the other is another instructor from my shop.

If not, I will dive with you to the depth that you want to get comfortable. It is a matter of practice and you have the right idea. I dive as Mitten Diver discusses. I normally have a slight suit squeeze, but it manages the air bubble beautifully. My Backplate/Wing control my actual buoyancy.

Maybe a miracle will happen and my new drysuit will be in, but I doubt it :) . I am happy in the old one in any case for now.

See you this weekend?

Brian

Jess,

Your plan sounds decent. One word of unasked for advice. Make sure that the gear that you buy with that tax refund will work in cold water. Many dive shops, even up here, will sell gear that will have problems in anything but tropical temps. An example would be a BC that does not have quite the lift necessary for the weight needed in cold water (due to heavy exposure protection).

diverbrian:
DMP,

To be honest, it took me a few dives to get used to using a dry suit. Now my wet suit collects dust, LOL. It is a different ball of wax as far as buoyancy. I should be down to the quarry this weekend. I will be with a group diving doubles (including myself), but I am sure that you will be more than welcome to join us as my dive buddy. One of my group is my tech instructor and the other is another instructor from my shop.

If not, I will dive with you to the depth that you want to get comfortable. It is a matter of practice and you have the right idea. I dive as Mitten Diver discusses. I normally have a slight suit squeeze, but it manages the air bubble beautifully. My Backplate/Wing control my actual buoyancy.

Maybe a miracle will happen and my new drysuit will be in, but I doubt it :) . I am happy in the old one in any case for now.

See you this weekend?

Brian

Jess,

Your plan sounds decent. One word of unasked for advice. Make sure that the gear that you buy with that tax refund will work in cold water. Many dive shops, even up here, will sell gear that will have problems in anything but tropical temps. An example would be a BC that does not have quite the lift necessary for the weight needed in cold water (due to heavy exposure protection).

I got a nice Henderson's Titanium from the shop close by to me works really well in the cold water, baked in Florida wearing it. Think the shorty will be my choice on my next romp in the warm water....

What day? Sunday good for you or do you want Saturday?

DMP:
I got a nice Henderson's Titanium from the shop close by to me works really well in the cold water, baked in Florida wearing it. Think the shorty will be my choice on my next romp in the warm water....

What day? Sunday good for you or do you want Saturday?
I am thinking Saturday as may decide to get a room in Findlay and stick around for Sunday, but I am not sure.

I have a Henderson 3mm jumpsuit for warm water. It's nice when trying to keep thimble jellies off my skin.

diverbrian:
I am thinking Saturday as may decide to get a room in Findlay and stick around for Sunday, but I am not sure.

I have a Henderson 3mm jumpsuit for warm water. It's nice when trying to keep thimble jellies off my skin.

Sounds like a plan....call you today or tomorrow then. Gotta go to the store and mix my tanks.

Get a drysuit... you'll be glad you did. I've only a wetsuit but wish I could afford to dive dry so I could dive more. I'll bet I could double my dives if I was diving dry.

Gilboa and Portage get reeeeeally cold....

Randy

Penny P said her hands and feet were numb for 35-40 minutes after the dive.
That's too cold for me!!

Well my entire face was num..so num that I couldn't talk, lips wouldn't function well.

Back
Top Bottom